How common is the head gasket issue on a 2008 Subaru Forester?

The sad part is that head gasket failures are much less common on WRX/turbo Subaru's from what I hear.
why is that "sad" ? Different block with different deck webbing for turbo use.
Maybe I can answer my own question. It would be nice to have the turbo block in the N.A. engines.
These SOHC EJ253 had a subaru version of HONDA VTEC. that thing would take off when it hit 4500 rpm
in the stick cars. Giant bore engines with short stroke - racing style :)

Read my last post.
Tell your Aunts BIL to read my last post, then :)
I've owned over 8 Subaru from the DOHC 6'ers to inline 3 shakers from early 90's to present.
When I say I mean We. The Wife. I have a hard time getting comfortable in most Asian car seats.
with the exception of NIssan.

why is that "sad" ? Different block with different deck webbing for turbo use.
Maybe I can answer my own question. It would be nice to have the turbo block in the N.A. engines.
These SOHC EJ253 had a subaru version of HONDA VTEC. that thing would take off when it hit 4500 rpm
in the stick cars. Giant bore engines with short stroke - racing style :)

Sad because Subaru knowingly manufactured lower output engines that are more prone to head gasket failures.
I use to own a WRX.

True they knew the open deck design sucked right from the get go but with the EJ22 cases gone the pooch had already been good and screwed.
The turbo models also use the open deck but use different a HG, the Six Star, Fel-pro and other coated MLS are basically the turbo gaskets.
If 5K is in the budget then these EJ25 cases will make it as rock solid as the EJ22 or just buy a to-1996 EJ22 use 06-09 (possibly earlier) EJ25 SOHC heads and sprockets with a HG made for the job by Cometic IIRC and save 4000. This is the filled EJ25 aka a hybrid.

Subaru filled cases.jpg

Last edited:
165,000 miles on a 2000 Outback. Zero engine problems.
65,000 miles on a 2012 Impreza. Zero engine problems.
90,000 miles on a 2012 Outback. Zero engine problems.

The ONLY issue with these three cars was the 2000 rusting anti-roll bar struts, and a folded bracket below the radiator about 1/2" wide.

I only switched to a 2016 CX-5 because the CrossTrek didn't have the towing capacity I wanted.

dont use a zipper wheel on them. would be the number one thing.. they use those roloc wheels for speed (or whatever they are called) and it ruins the job.

Its semi-normal to have HG issues. esp if you go extended maintence on them.. not sure the exact mechanics of why that makes them more prone to have HG issue but you have to remember these are horizontal engines so its not exactly a standard i-4 and they have some issues crop up that other engines dont(or not as common)

From what I remember the ej22 had HG issuesbut the ej25 was MUCH worse.. and they tried several times to "fix it" as they got closer to retiring the ej series around 2010.

Turns out their mechanics idea of a tune up was just plugs. They changed the wires and the misfires went away.

I have a 2008 forester. I bought it cheap because the heads needed to come off. Pulled the engine, heads rebuilt and put back together with a new timing kit and felpro gaskets.
15k miles later runs great, no leaks. A bonus is pulling the engine to work on it is super easy.

Back