How come the a/c doesn't work in winter?

Took the oldest out on the road for the first time, just on the back roads. For some reason the car felt much warmer after every on-coming car passed us by, had to keep turning down the heat afterwards. After one mishap involving a snowbank and forgetting which is the brake pedal, I found out that the a/c wouldn't work. I mean, sometimes you just want that air to be as ice-cold as the drink you need.

Starting to understand why my father, who had four kids, no longer has any hair.

One last parting memory of 2020, I guess.

[Edit: Yes we did some time in a parking lot over the last few weeks. Nothing like handing control over to someone that you know doesn't have any experience.]

Generally, they are designed to cut the compressor off before the evaporator coil (the one under the dash) reaches the freezing point (32F).

If the evaporator coil freezes up, it can block the airflow.

Apologies; the post was in jest. I didn't try the a/c, and if I had, I wouldn't have expected it to work (it was below 40F today, maybe 35 when we were out and about). But the heat was definitely off by the time we got home.

The son now realizes that driving for real is nothing like a video game. I think he likes it, but we have a long ways to go. Long ways to build confidence.

My (disabled) 24 year old son keeps thinking he can drive (he doesn’t have the reading comprehension for it)-I keep trying to explain driving is not like the Cruisin’ USA arcade video game, the car doesn’t repair itself every time you wreck it! :ROFLMAO:

Back