How can a vehicle have a insurance total loss, but still have a clean title?

Says who, the car flipper selling his rebuilt titled car to a uneducated buyer on Facebook?
HUH? All my salvage cars titles have said rebuilt on them and I mention that in any ad I post. I don't have to title them in my name to make it seem like a personal car and curb them.

HUH? All my salvage cars titles have said rebuilt on them and I mention that in any ad I post. I don't have to title them in my name to make it seem like a personal car and curb them.
You have ethics. ethics are not always common in the used car business.

How many vehicles can you sell in a year in DC without having to obtain a dealer's license? How do you get away with not titling the vehicles in your name?
In Texas you are able to sell up to 5 vehicles a year as long as those vehicles are titled in your name and used primarily for personal, family, or household use. Otherwise, you are obligated by law to obtain a Texas Dealer's License. They take a very dim view of people selling (curbing) vehicles that are not titled in their name (open title) because it is sales tax evasion. They fine people that do this.

Many people outside of the industry confuse the terms "clean" and "clear" titles and tend to use the terms interchangeably when they either don't understand or they intend to deceive potential buyers.
This is what I was thinking, too. Some people are saying "clean title" to mean there are no liens against it.

They likely don't have what is commonly known as a "clean title". They more likely than not have a rebuilt title and the Seller/ flipper is not properly disclosing the title status.
I was of the impression that is what the term "Salvage" defined as it appeared on the title. The vehicle is just that, salvaged from the boneyard. Because someone was able to "rescue it" by a low cost rebuilding process, in order to put it back on the road.

Hiding the fact it is / was a salvage is illegal. At least that's the way I believe it works here in Arizona. I had a coworker who purchased a early 2000's, (pre HEMI), Dodge / Ram pickup this way.

It was a POS, but he got it cheap. And he had no problem getting it licensed. He did have an issue with insurance. They didn't want to grant him collision coverage. Because they knew no reputable body shop would dare touch it if it was ever damaged again. Regardless of the damage.

So all he had was liability coverage.

Anything with salvage or rebuilt on it is NOT a "Clean" title.
If the title recognises it as a "Salvage", it can be legally licensed to the purchaser, insured, and driven. (If it passes inspection).

In that regard, (and assuming it has no liens against it), it's a, "clean title". And is as good and legal as any properly titled, non salvaged vehicle that is accident free.

If the title recognises it as a "Salvage", it can be legally licensed to the purchaser, insured, and driven. In that regard, (and assuming it has no liens against it), it's a, "clean title". And is as good and legal as any properly titled, non salvaged vehicle that is accident free.
Nope, it's CLEAR title. There is a difference between clean and clear titles.

Nope, it's CLEAR title. There is a difference between clean and clear titles.
What dmv in any of the fifty united states use the term "clean" title on any of their laws, regulations, or statues? I speculate few to none. The term clean title is a made up status that anyone can apply in any manner they choose.

Don't know, I've had a license over 30 years so it don't affect me. But it's odd that house flippers can sell as many houses as they want without any license requirement.
In Texas they have to be sold through a licensed agent.

What dmv in any of the fifty united states use the term "clean" title on any of their laws, regulations, or statues? I speculate few to none. The term clean title is a made up status that anyone can apply in any manner they choose.
Correct. As far as the states are concerned the title either has a lien or it doesn't and it is either branded or it isn't. The terms "clean" and "clear" when referring to a title are not terms that the states use, these are industry terms, and the substitution of "clean" for "clear" is something that unscrupulous sellers will often use because much of the general public doesn't understand the difference (which is something we are seeing in this thread).

always looking at cars and i have noticed that there are car that state " insurance total loss, but has a clean title". is this possible? this is in WA state.

Surprised nobody has challenged that as unconstitutional. The real estate association must have a strong lobby. How long would you have to "reside" there to be legit?
I don't know the exact details. I only know this because I asked a very active house flipper I am acquainted with why he was running all of his property sales transactions through an agent and not doing FSBO (he is not an agent).

I don't know the exact details. I only know this because I asked a very active house flipper I am acquainted with why he was running all of his property sales transactions through an agent and not doing FSBO (he is not an agent).
It takes a lot of time and effort to sell REO yourself. In addition agents have access to MLS system so your property will get more exposure.

Better to have an agent doing that so you can concentrate on current projects as well as looking for others.

Back