How bad were oils in the 1980’s?

I don't remember a particular brand of oil that was blamed and I don't believe GM picked on any brand. But they did pinpoint 10w-40 so I suspect all the brands were included.
You're right, GM put the kibosh on all 10W-40s, even though it was only lower grade brands causing the ring sticking problem. The word on the inside was that many were fine, but rather than say "use this brand, not that one," GM lowered the hammer on all of them.

I'm also thinking GM didn't want to say certain brands were acceptable, therefore giving competition to Goodwrench, when they wanted to grow their own brand.

IIRC, it may have been related to VII content, and the 10W-40 had a lot more VII in it.
A batch of additive received from a supplier was bad. It was blended without being tested, and the resulting finished product gelled in oil pans in cold weather. Engines failed in large numbers, and Quaker State paid for many replacements including my stepmother's. This was 1980 or so. In order to regain customer confidence and hold on to their number one market share, QS started offering their engine warranty advertising. So I'm pretty sure you have them to thank for that.

Blackstone cannot test for most of the attributes that would define the problems of oils back then.
Correct and IIRC the article's author even said as much and differentiated between solvent dewaxed Group I and newer hydrocracked "conventional" oils. What it did show that was interesting was the additive packages that went from near nil in the 50's to pretty substantial with Zinc and detergents by the 70's. Also of note was that the tester made sure not to shake or overly disturb the oils to show the solubility of the additives that mostly stayed in retention....

A batch of additive received from a supplier was bad. It was blended without being tested, and the resulting finished product gelled in oil pans in cold weather. Engines failed in large numbers, and Quaker State paid for many replacements including my stepmother's. This was 1980 or so. In order to regain customer confidence and hold on to their number one market share, QS started offering their engine warranty advertising. So I'm pretty sure you have them to thank for that.
This is the article I was thinking of, shared by Solarent (who doesn't appear to be a member anymore unfortunately, I can't tag him) back in 2015:

This was the page that references Quaker State, but it appears they were not the only one affected:
Screen Shot 2022-09-24 at 10.37.30 AM.jpg

Wear is always a problem.

My 1985 Corolla never had any ring, deposit, fuel-mileage, or oil-consumption issues approaching 300,000 miles when it was totaled by a hit-and-run driver. Toyota recommended a 10,000-mile OCI with conventional API SF or API SF/CC oil.

New cars like Subaru and most new European cars do suffer from ring sticking, deposits, and ring wear, despite using the latest ILSAC, ACEA, and OEM oil specs.

The problem is not really the robustness of the oil but the engine design.
Wear was not the problem.

The oils in the 1980s were perfectly fine. It was mostly owner neglect that got all those oil urban legends started.
Worked as a line tech at a Chevy dealer in the late seventies and early eighties. Camshafts and valve guides were such common failures because of poor manufacturing that folks would blame whatever oil they were using at the time of the failure. Proper oil change intervals slowed down the failures however some were inevitable. My personal favorite oil back then was Phillips 66 Trop Artic 10w40.

This is the article I was thinking of, shared by Solarent (who doesn't appear to be a member anymore unfortunately, I can't tag him) back in 2015:

This was the page that references Quaker State, but it appears they were not the only one affected:
View attachment 118237
Thanks. Yes, they chose a pour point depressant that didn't work. :)
I was told that by an insider and by a man who owned a QS distributorship at the time. He tried to hire me when I was working for Pennzoil. QS ended up buying him out. After the merger years later we ended up as coworkers. I drove him home the day he retired because he had to turn in his car. A great guy, now quite advanced in age.

10W-40 fell out of favor after all the news about it.
I started using Havoline 10w40 when I bought my first car. Most of the oil I use today is 10w40 but I now use various brands instead of exclusively Havoline. I think I used exclusively Havoline up until about the mid '80's when Western Auto started running rebates on 12 qt. cases of Exxon Superflo and Amoco Ultimate. They'd run 12 qt. cases on sale for $5. with a $5 rebate so all the oil cost me was the sales tax and a stamp to send in the rebate. I put Amoco Ultimate 10w40 in my mom's '99 Grand Marquis at it's last oil change. I think it was some of the oil I'd got the rebate on and gave to my dad years ago.

This is an oil viscosity chart from 1984, in the shop manual for a 1984 Chevy Cavalier. 5W30 then wasn't what it is today, seemingly, because they didn't want it used above 60F. Also note that 10W-40 is not listed:

View attachment 118037
That's weird in that if it was only good to 60°F, why was it rated as a xW-30 oil?

And to muddy the waters, my friend bought a Chevy Celebrity around the same time, and we were both leery about the year-round call for 5W-30.

I'm surprised GM would specify the fulltime use of 5W-30 in one engine and limit it in another.

However, there are two confounding factors; the 5W-30 recommendation for the Celebrity could have been specific to cold-weather regions, and/or GM may have thought the V6 (2.8?) in the Celebrity was more robust than the Cavalier's 4.

Thanks. Yes, they chose a pour point depressant that didn't work. :)
I was told that by an insider and by a man who owned a QS distributorship at the time. He tried to hire me when I was working for Pennzoil. QS ended up buying him out. After the merger years later we ended up as coworkers. I drove him home the day he retired because he had to turn in his car. A great guy, now quite advanced in age.
But it also illustrated a problem with J300 that was subsequently addressed. In a way it was a good thing because it brought about positive changes to the way the winter rating was obtained.

Some Multigrade oils in the 80s were partifularly bad, solvent refined base oil were still quite common, 10W40s as already stated were notorious for sludging as they were reliant on a thin solvent refined oil loaded with polymeric VIIs, most would probably fail the HTHS requirements required to claim 10W40 by modern standards by a country mile. There's a paper somewhere where several 5W30 oils in the 80s were tested and the HTHS wouldn't even qualify as 20 grade by modern standards. The original Mobil1 was 5W20 and it claimed to out perform conventional 10W40 of the day, which it probably did, the original formula Mobil1 was almost entirely PAO except some solvent refined oil used as an additive carrier, although they eventually realized that combination was very harsh on seals and reformulated it pretty early on to use PAO and some polyol ester oil to add polarity to hold the ad pack and have good elastomeric compatibility, but that 5W20 probably had an HTHS that met or exceeded most conventional Xw30 and Xw40 multi-grades PCMOs of the day.

Some Multigrade oils in the 80s were partifularly bad, solvent refined base oil were still quite common, 10W40s as already stated were notorious for sludging as they were reliant on a thin solvent refined oil loaded with polymeric VIIs, most would probably fail the HTHS requirements required to claim 10W40 by modern standards by a country mile. There's a paper somewhere where several 5W30 oils in the 80s were tested and the HTHS wouldn't even qualify as 20 grade by modern standards. The original Mobil1 was 5W20 and it claimed to out perform conventional 10W40 of the day, which it probably did, the original formula Mobil1 was almost entirely PAO except some solvent refined oil used as an additive carrier, although they eventually realized that combination was very harsh on seals and reformulated it pretty early on to use PAO and some polyol ester oil to add polarity to hold the ad pack and have good elastomeric compatibility, but that 5W20 probably had an HTHS that met or exceeded most conventional Xw30 and Xw40 multi-grades PCMOs of the day.
My dad used the original Mobil 1 in what is now my '75 Capri, during winter in Northern Finland, starting at -40 it certainly helped.

In the summer he ran Valvoline 10W-40 or 20W-50.

I started driving in 1993. First car was a 1985 Buick Skyhawk 2L 4-cylinder.
Only ‘allowed’ 5W-30; got 3k changes of Pennzoil or GTX 5W-30.
It had a lot of problems, but sludge/cold start problems/oil consumption…anything related to the oil WASN’T one of them.

Back