How bad do you let your tires get?

Winter - 6/32" unless they have poor traction prior (like worn out Blizzak Multicell). They then will probably get used up for a couple months into summer maybe even fall.
All season - 4-5/32" unless traction is suffering or I hydroplane in normal speed.

4 New tires are about the same as my deductible and hopefully will help prevent me from paying that, never mind injuries.

For me it’s when their wear begins to interfere with normal driving envelope…. which generally means wet traction around here. Sharply increased noise levels might advance that some. to date, the tires I’ve had that held their wet traction the best into well past 50% have been:
1. Potenza RE980 AS (though the total life of these was about 15k due to missed rotation, quick miles and aggressive acceleration.
2. Continental terraincontact

I start thinking about replacement when I'm down to 4/32. Usually go to 3/32 before doing so. If Winter is close, I'll replace right away.

The T speed rated version of many tires usually has at least one mm deeper tread depth as new than the H, V etc. They are sometimes much more difficult to find. Everything I have can live with a T (118 mph?) rating.

Other than the obvious stuff like severe cracking, or sidewall punctures, I replace tires when performance starts degrades. Age is a factor too. Once tires get near the decade mark I replace them even if they seem fine otherwise.

6/32 and I have new tires ordered at least. I drive a large suv and large one ton pickup and a bmw 3 series performance car. I want plenty of tire so I dont have any problems dry or wet or snow.
I often drive the back roads over 120 mph on the bmw and hit on ramps hard. I replace suspension parts and brakes when half done. I just dont want tires or brakes less than excellent.
I run high performance summer continentals on the bmw. Car does not get used in winter and very rare in the rain.

How bad do you let your tires get before you replace them?
Performance drop?
hydroplane issues?
Down to wear bars?
Cords showing or almost bald?

I usually let them get pretty bad like to the wear bars or beyond.
Replace them at 4/32.....
Get a tread guage if you don't have one.

No less than 4/32’s or when I notice any loss of traction. I keep my vehicles well maintained, but absolutely never skimp on brakes or tires.

Of course I keep a close eye on my truck, but I’m even more conservative when it comes to my wife’s car. A few months back she told me that she hydroplaned a little on the interstate. Her tires were almost brand new, but it was pouring rain. I asked how fast she was going, her response was “well the speed limit was 70.” Worn tires could have had a terrible result.

Screenshot_20220830-202120_Chrome.jpg

Usually, I start window shopping at 5/32nds and replace at 4/32nds.

Thankfully I drive a LOT less than I did a few years ago, so the time from 5 to 4/32nds is much longer. I run all seasons, not a lot of snow during STL winters, and by 4/32nds (so far) I notice hydroplane resistance drops noticeably. BTDT once or twice on worn tires, that was plenty.

... The Tire Rack is my current favourite site for reviews.
& for me its their prices. I can go p/u at local Hub ('hartfrd' CT airport) for an
additional savings. At 14$ a mount by locals I still have a great savings.

Even tho, I get them to/past the wear bars. Fixed income + PT wrenchin. Older
frnt WD accord, manny, 2.3L sedan, 150K mile and truckin along fine.

"BMW"? is that a "rain" map. Cool, never saw one before (is it a 'sno' map too ie "year round participation"). Makes me wanna
go visit that lill dark blue bubble in the 4 state area (TN, Nc, SC & Geog). Gets as much water as the olympia penesula and Calie redwoods...
(A part of WVa had trees that hi the British Royal Navy stripped out 3, 400 yrs ago. Used for masts on the boats that created the 'empire on which the sun never set'. They are forever gone now, didn't leave any standing, a canadian alpine enviornment).

Last edited:
We replace the OEM tires just before winter. They are always terrible. Regular tires we replace at 5/32.

Back