How accurate is this info on fuel system cleaners found on the net?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pennzoil Gumout Regane
60-70% kerosene
30-40 Polyether amine
Analysis: I don't see anything in them that would harm a car

Gumout Xtra
90-95% kerosene
5-10% detergent
Analysis: I don't see anything in them that would harm a car

Chevron Techron:
30-50% hydrotreated petroleum distillates
10-25% Stoddard Solvent (similar to kerosene)
5-10% Naptha
1-5% Benzene
.1-.5% Xylene
Analysis: Naptha, Benzene, and Xylene are strong solvents, but I do not believe they are used in enough volume to cause problems.

Valvoline Complete Fuel System Cleaner:
52 - 62% Kersosene
28-38% Light hydrotreated petroleum distillate
6-16% Stoddard Solvent
Analysis: A good formula, should have no negative affects on seals, similar to Techron but without the stronger solvents.

Amsoil Performance Improver
80% petroleum distillates
No other compounds identified
Analysis: Safe, but without full disclosure of any other compounds, one must reserve judgement against the other, more technically advanced cleaners like Techron and Red Line SI-1.

Red Line SI-1
1-5% Alkenylamine
1-10% Isoctanol
1-10% 1,2,4 Trimethylbenzene
5-20% Aliphactic Napthta
Analysis: A very complete formulation: detergent/dispersant, corrosion inhibitor, fuel additive. It has an alcohol which will help disperse any water, several strong solvent cleaners, and a detergent. Very comparable to Techron, perhaps a bit stronger, so be sure to use it full strength only when properly titrated, or in smaller amounts for continuous cleaning

PEA is what's in Gumout Regane. Nice stuff. It was in BG44K until about November when it was removed.

On the Red Line analysis comments...How are you supposed to titrate a fuel additive into your gasoling tank? I simply watch where I'm pouring the additive, making sure to add it FIRST, then fill 'er up with the fuel so as to mix as best as possible without being able to get a spoon in there and stir away.

Also, it seems that it also is a winning combination of ingredients to use, might have to go back to using this, as I have used that product in the past, but stopped when I naively believed what I read from the oil companies that gasoline had everything that I needed for complete and efficient combustion chamber cleanliness and shape. So much for that these days, eh?!?

i can vouch that the gumout regane is good stuff. i used it on my 91 acura. i removed the head 1000 later and valves where shiney as if new. engine had 130k

here's my results with Techron concentrate (not the diluted pro guard stuff). I couldn't get the lighting and focus the same on the "after" pic, but with the naked eye view there is significantly less carbon on the top of the piston -- more dark grey bare metal exposed, with scattered specks of black deposits -- as opposed to at the blanket of black build up. I put the techron in right before a long 300 mile highway drive, so I think that helped too. I may try Regane to finish the job....

BEFORE:
 -

AFTER:
 -

DR.T i use the gumout regane every 6,000 or so miles. i hear good things about techron but never tried it. im pretty satisfied with the gumout regane . i belive the techron would be better suited for severe knocking and pinging due to continous use of bad gas. and i stay away from regular 87 octane.

Nice post, Night Owl! Thanks for going through all the effort to compile and post this info.
cheers.gif

One comment: I was under the impression that Techron contains PEA. What gives?
dunno.gif

Here's some info I found on Chevron's website:

quote:

Techron is Chevron’s latest gasoline additive formulation based on a family of compounds called polyether amines.

Here's a link to Chevron's Techron page that contains the above quote.

Here's another link specifically about Techron Concentrate. Check out #3.

[ December 03, 2005, 07:31 AM: Message edited by: Big O Dave ]

That was my question too. I'd read here in various threads that Techron was the first use of polyether amines and that others "copied" the formula. But what exactly are polyether amines? Do they fall under the category of "hydrotreated petroleum distillates?" In that case we still don't know how much Techron has.

- Glenn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back