How about that fried calamari?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: pandus13
one man's trash is another one's treasure?

Are you implying that the link worked for you?

no,
just that the beans counters or the "alternate recipe" might make more money for some.
also what you don't know usually (maybe) doesn't kill you

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Carbon
Originally Posted By: pandus13
one man's trash is another one's treasure?

Are you implying that the link worked for you?

It should be working. If it doesn't, just listen to the NPR episode in the second link - it's pretty funny.

Originally Posted By: Stelth
I had no idea that there were enough of those, uh, things available to substitute for squid.

+1

Originally Posted By: Stelth
I had no idea that there were enough of those, uh, things available to substitute for squid.

I have a friend who used to work at a pork packing house. He was serious when he told me that the only thing that they do not use from a pig was the oink. It all goes somewhere and what doesn't go to the American markets, goes to Asia. I think we are finding out that a lot of the unmentionables go to the American market, whether we like it or not.

Originally Posted By: greenjp
Slate I think did a debunking of the "pigs' you know whats"-as-calamari story. Not true thank God.

The only thing that Slate said is that there is no proof that someone out there has been faking calamari in such a way. NPR's This American Life couldn't find proof either, so instead they reverted to an experiment and showed that if someone wanted to fake it, it would have probably gone unnoticed (by an average person eating it).

But by the same token, there is no proof that someone hasn't been faking it either.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/food/...ebreak_anchor_2

By the way, I like one of the comments made in response to this article...

Quote:
If pig rectum goes into calamari, then what goes into hotdog?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
...But by the same token, there is no proof that someone hasn't been faking it either.

That's a pretty weak standard Pete!
grin.gif

In the absence of any actual evidence, the inability of multiple investigators to find any substantiating evidence is enough for me to consider it debunked.

jeff

It's all one big cover-up. Now, where is my tin foil hat...
lol.gif

Seriously though, one would need to look at money making potential of such an endeavor. Is there a ton of money to be made by substituting calamari with pig rectum that would outweigh the potential risk of getting caught and facing the consequences? Obviously, the restaurants would have to be in on it. Is it worth for them to risk their reputation and possibly getting shut down over this? I would say, no. Unless somehow the raw (un-fried) rings made of pigs look the same as real calamri, but I think the articles said that's not the case either. So yeah, highly unlikely.

I don't think eating squid is much more appetizing than pig [censored], but I do know the restaurant I work for uses real squid because I prep it.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
I don't think eating squid is much more appetizing than pig [censored], but I do know the restaurant I work for uses real squid because I prep it.

I love fried calamari/squid and pig stomach.

This reminds me of the dish "Cow's Bliss with pickled vegetable" in the movie Vulgaria.

4:50 to 5:20

It shrinks a lot after cooking, so you need a lot to make one dish.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back