How about creating "Technical" sub-forums here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it would be great if we had "Technical" sub-forums here, where topics and discussions would follow a higher standard than the general forums. Browsing the forums here usually leaves me with a feeling of deja vu. As I scroll through the posts, I ask myself, "haven't these topics been discussed here a few dozen times over the years?" I also see a lot of blanket statements, as well as arguments based on opinion, assumptions, or on nebulous interpretations. Here are a few of the things that typically have me clicking the "X" at the upper-right corner of my internet browser:

-- "You think you're smarter than the engineers who designed your engine? Just use the oil weight specified in your owner's manual and stop thinking about the different technical aspects and variables involved."

-- Subject: "What's the best oil for my new Toyota?"

-- Subject: "Thick oil vs. thin oil"

-- Subject: "Synthetic vs. dino"

-- Subject: "Which of these oils will clean my engine the best?"

-- "There's no advantage to using OEM automatic transmission fluid." ... "it's just an overpriced money maker for the dealerships" ... "people on this site have used this universal ATF without their transmission failing, so that means it's as good or better than the OEM ATF" .....

-- "Dexcool or long-life coolants that share any components with Dexcool will: 1) destroy your cooling system, 2) leave a radioactive sludge in your cooling system, 3) disintegrate your water pump, 4) ..., 5) ..., .....

The quotes in your post already show why it's a bad idea. They'll be full of bad info.

Most people on this site think they can feel horsepower loss when it's time for an oil change and other insane things.

Yes, but who is to rule what is "technical" vs. "opinion, assumptions, or on nebulous interpretations?" Plus, there are lots of people who come here for the very first time and might be interested in the very topics you want to X out, whether or not they are "technical." It often does take some digging to find information, but there are often interesting discussions that raise new ideas that might be out of the mainstream. For example, I spend a lot of time in the oil filter forums, yet almost every single authoritative source I can read says to follow the OEM recommendations whatever the may be. The authoritative sources say the same about motor oils, and to follow the OEM OCI recommendations too. If we all did that there would be no need for a forum!

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
Yes, but who is to rule what is "technical" vs. "opinion, assumptions, or on nebulous interpretations?" Plus, there are lots of people who come here for the very first time and might be interested in the very topics you want to X out, whether or not they are "technical." It often does take some digging to find information, but there are often interesting discussions that raise new ideas that might be out of the mainstream. For example, I spend a lot of time in the oil filter forums, yet almost every single authoritative source I can read says to follow the OEM recommendations whatever the may be. The authoritative sources say the same about motor oils, and to follow the OEM OCI recommendations too. If we all did that there would be no need for a forum!

This website is 99.9999% speculative [censored] to feed noobs. Even a UOA from blackstone tells you very very little.

We don't need anymore sub forums.
31.gif

Quote:
This website is 99.9999% speculative [censored] to feed noobs.

You've made close to 700 posts here. Were 99.99% of them speculative [censored]?

I supposed we could just listen to finger wagging Nanny McPoppins and kill this discussion right now?

And that's another thing I see here. How about some meaningful discussion rather than authoritative "I'm right, you're wrong" types of comments here.

I'm not proposing doing away with the General forums. Just adding a less-visited side area where the discussions can be more focused, thoughtful, less repetitive, and less fist-pounding hear-hear'ness.

Quote:

You've made close to 700 posts here. Were 99.99% of them speculative [censored]?

You mean like their post above?

Unfortunately, any sort of a "technical" subforum will still devolve into the same old tripe-a few people will hawk Mobil 1 as the end-all, be-all, one will swear his car performs miracles on Supertech, and one or two people will argue about how vastly superior a certain purple colored oil is, all without any facts to back them up (beyond their own "butt dyno").

The passenger car motor oil forum used to be technical, but the folks who really knew the science behind oil have pretty much all left. The remainder, as you point out, continue to beat the mindless drums of thick vs. thin, conventional vs. synthetic, etc.

Quote:

Yes they were, like his quote that Wix filters were rock catchers lol. Pot calling the kettle black.

Sooner or later you realize this place is just entertainment value for the most part.

Besides, the future uses no oil... quick register "SamIsTheLithiumIonGuy.com".

Quote:
How about some meaningful discussion rather than authoritative "I'm right, you're wrong" types of comments here.

This is the Internet--good luck with that! Seriously, crowd-sourced nonsense is what drives the Internet. Are there nuggets of wisdom--yes! Are they often well hidden in mounds of something--yes! It is entertainment, not necessarily enlightenment.

Yes, I agree, Internet forums in general are full of mindless nonsense. And yes, the mindless nonsense does have its place (mostly as a source of entertainment). And yes, when we have the time to sift through the rubble, we do occasionally find nuggets of gold, when we're lucky.

I don't see any reason why this site couldn't cater to everybody. I think there are still people from the "good ol' days of BITOG" who wander over here occasionally to see if they'll get lucky and stumble across something of value. We can at least bring back a shadow of the old BITOG glory from years ago.

How about a BITOG approved series of how-to videos on various small projects like changing engine oil, transmission fluid, differential oil, cooling system fluid, EGR service and so on.

And, how to read an owner's manual and product labels.

Safe practices when raising a vehicle for service or inspection.

Bring BITOG into the video age.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
How about a BITOG approved series of how-to videos on various small projects like changing engine oil, transmission fluid, differential oil, cooling system fluid, EGR service and so on.

Thousands of these are already on youtube, so why reinvent the wheel. Just need to pick the ones that don't suck.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

Thousands of these are already on youtube, so why reinvent the wheel. Just need to pick the ones that don't suck.

I think I stated "BITOG approved" and you just re-stated it but with a bit stronger language.

Originally Posted By: KingCake

This website is 99.9999% speculative [censored] to feed noobs. Even a UOA from blackstone tells you very very little.

You mean to tell me you do not savor every word of the Blackstone comment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back