Hours on oil vs miles

This determines if OLM is accurate. To many I have read that is going right at 10k regardless of driving conditions. Been some rocker failures so I will make sure hours are not exceeded. I have never seen light come on in 2 years which I reset once a year with over 7k with lots of short trips as well as full throttle runs getting on interstate. Read some come on at 3k with little idle time and mine gets idle time regularly as yesterday it was 30 minutes. So I will see if monitor takes hours into count. A sludge motor or motor damage may or not be covered if you don't follow manual. Maybe 😏 just follow severe duty at 4k.

Good points there

I would go with fuel used in 7,500 miles of pure highway driving.
So your Versa for example could be 40 mpg and 187.5 gallons.
In the case of city driving & 31 mpg OCI would be shortened to 5800 miles.
I just looked back over the log on my Versa where I keep track of everything done to it including fuel fill ups with number of gallons purchased. Last oil change interval on it was 7506 miles and I'd used about 145.5 gallons of gas during that interval. If I'd have gone with 187.5 gallons that would have increased my OCI to over 9600 miles and roughly 240-285 hours on conventional. I'm not saying that wouldn't be OK but, I think I'll stick with 7500 mile intervals. If I divided 7500 miles by 34 MPG (EPA combined estimate) that would give me 220.5 gallons between changes. That would mean with the MPG I averaged on my last OCI that I could have gone over 11,300 miles also making the run time somewhere between 280-335 hours.

Last edited:
I have serviced my dads 2016 LML Duramax by the OLM since new. The shortest oil change was 477.1 engine hours and the longest was 606.2 engine hours. It currently has about 62k miles and more than 4,400 engine hours with no issues so far. It has consumed about 1 quart of oil per 3,000 miles since new.
D5D6F176-493A-4F20-B773-C33772B14998.jpeg

I have serviced my dads 2016 LML Duramax by the OLM since new. The shortest oil change was 477.1 engine hours and the longest was 606.2 engine hours. It currently has about 62k miles and more than 4,400 engine hours with no issues so far. It has consumed about 1 quart of oil per 3,000 miles since new.
View attachment 33262
Not uncommon for diesel

I would go with fuel used in 7,500 miles of pure highway driving.
So your Versa for example could be 40 mpg and 187.5 gallons. ...
...Or that 187.5 gallon fuel quota per oil change would allow ~9100 miles at the 48.6 mpg FordMan gets.

Obviously the fuel quota would vary with the vehicle. This method automatically compensates, at least roughly, for adverse conditions like short trips, idling, heavy loads, towing, high speeds, traffic congestion, etc.

Maybe slightly off topic but does anyone know if the gm olm counts vehicle mileage in the calculation? My 05 Silverado usually goes around 4k miles before saying it's oil change time. It has 200k miles and 8700 engine hours. Lots of short trips but some longer ones. It does idle for AC in the summer and heat/defrost in the winter.

Or that 187.5 gallon fuel quota per oil change would allow ~9100 miles at the 48.6 mpg FordMan gets.
I'm guessing that 48 mpg comes partly from driving gently on secondary highways at 50-60 mph, which would be very easy on the engine and oil.
My previous 2006 Toyota Matrix got as low as 31 mpg on the highway in parts of the midwest going 85 mph with the AC cranking.
However, driving in eastern Maryland on secondary highways, no AC, at 50-60 mph I got as high as 38 mpg.
In the same conditions my Tucson has reached 33 mpg.

Maybe slightly off topic but does anyone know if the gm olm counts vehicle mileage in the calculation?

They tend to keep that a closely guarded secret on how the calculation is figured

Why, I have no idea ( but a strong suspicion)

I was going to make a post, as to ask a question about the effects of long, long, long highway drives (12, 24 hours at a time.. maybe even more) on oil.

Is this the same question as in this thread?

Just an update. I am averaging 23.1 mph since last oil change in November. I was guessing right with 4500 oil change but missed it with 6 month oil change so meter was the way to go. I am at 3596 miles on 156 hours so if this pace continues it would get an oil change at 4600 or so at 200 hours. I will continue with Synthetic oil since I have plenty that I bought for 1.55 a qt.

Back