Hours OCI single thumper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there.

I'm using Delo400 and currently changing it out every 4 rides on the trailbike.

Bike is a Yamaha TTR 250. 250 single cylinder air cooled engine that shares the oil with gearbox and clutch. Bike does not have an oil cooler. I think it takes about 1.5 litres of oil or thereabouts.

Trail riding is 30% easy low reving plodding in higher gears and 70% heavy throttle high revs (pinning the throttle and leaving it) in lower gears.

4 rides equates to probably about 20 hours. I'm thinking of getting an hour timer for it as kilometres doesn't really count out on the trail.

Oil is pretty black when it comes out.
What are your thoughts on OCI's for trail bikes?

Cheers,

Dan

I would think it not so much hours but fuel burned that would indicate an oci. I have a yammy 1100 v-star with a shared sump. Use the rotella t-6 5w-40. It's fantastic oil for yamaha's and I suggest no more than 40-50 hours of riding. Do a few changes til the oil is clean then ride til it's jet black. Checking frequently. If it has a strong fuel smell change immediately.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Does Yamaha suggest a particular interval?

Every 1000 km (600 mile). That's a bit far considering I'm thrashing it in the bush at 10 km/h isn't it?

Delo is a good oil in your bike, but you should be changing it after every ride. Your engine will shear the Delo down to a 30wt in a matter of a couple hours or so...and keep on shearing so that it stops adequately protecting your engine for spirited riding probably shortly after that. Change it every ride and clean your air filter often and you'll have one happy TTR.

i know the ttr250 line of motors.

if you change the oil every 2-4 rides you should be good.

imho i would like to suggest every 2 rides and use hdeo.

Originally Posted By: sunruh
i know the ttr250 line of motors.

if you change the oil every 2-4 rides you should be good.

imho i would like to suggest every 2 rides and use hdeo.

Cheers
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back