Hot water kettle. why did i wait so long??

been boiling water on the stove for a long time. i drink a lot of tea. i finally broke down and got a hot water kettle . the kind that boils water with a seperate base. Should have done this a long time ago. its so much faster and safer.

Yeah. Been using those for years at work for people who wanted tea. Generally better than a water cooler that also has hot water.

However, we had one at home for about 4 years but it eventually started leaking. But a new one was cheap enough. It boils faster and should be more efficient than a stovetop kettle since those tend to leak out heat.

europe uses 220 for everything i believe, more efficient + electric motors run cooler while making better power. dont know when they started using 220-240 but once everything is that way + wiring to suite its all good, BUT a little more dangerous i would think.

To benjy and anyone else: "BUT a little more dangerous i would think."

They think so too. I rented a 7" circular saw in the UK and a reducing transformer was included. The saw was 110 and US made.
The counterman said they're all like that in case a worker cuts a power line.

Yep, the one with the separate bottom plate is the way to go. When you set the kettle onto it, it activates a small lever (usually lit when heating). When the water is boiling, the lever pops up and the electricity shuts off. :)

There are some "European" 220 volt, 2000+ watt kettles sold on Amazon, when our current kettle dies I think I am going to get one of those and put in a 240v outlet in the kitchen. Most of the 220v kettles will operate fine at the slightly higher NA voltage.

I must confess....

I never knew there was a difference between, "110-120". I thought it was just slop in a system, nothing more.
Then, when someone told me that the 110 in our particular situation (West Side of Manhattan years ago) was 108, I concluded it was a party and anything goes until your fridge motor burns out.

ERGO, I foolishly made up my own name for Eurojuice and called it 220-240.

I need to review a bit.

Once, while prowling around in the guts of a dishwasher in Sweden I touched something and ended up across the room.
It was fast and my arm hurt.

Well - the really nice thing about most of these is that there's an auto shutoff. I can just set it an forget it without worrying about burning down my kitchen. I did have one with a hard switch that didn't have an auto shutoff, and that I had to monitor.

Our Keurig coffee maker makes boiling water in under a minute for hot/iced tea.. ;)

I've tried that before with one in a hotel room. Don't like it since the water ends up with a residual coffee taste. And then it can get really weird when making tea or hot chocolate in K-Cups.

Well - the really nice thing about most of these is that there's an auto shutoff. I can just set it an forget it without worrying about burning down my kitchen. I did have one with a hard switch that didn't have an auto shutoff, and that I had to monitor.
Our last one quit working when the sensor went open. I considered bypassing it, but decided it wasn't worth not having auto-shutoff.

I must confess....

I never knew there was a difference between, "110-120". I thought it was just slop in a system, nothing more.
Then, when someone told me that the 110 in our particular situation (West Side of Manhattan years ago) was 108, I concluded it was a party and anything goes until your fridge motor burns out.

ERGO, I foolishly made up my own name for Eurojuice and called it 220-240.

I need to review a bit.

Once, while prowling around in the guts of a dishwasher in Sweden I touched something and ended up across the room.
It was fast and my arm hurt.
Our residential voltage is nominally 120 V, but measures 117 (in my house specifically, I mean).

I think it's common in North America for the distribution voltage to be 7.2 kV, stepped down to single-phase 240 V for the home. The 240 V is centre-tapped to give two 120 V single-phase legs. A double breaker spans the two legs to give 240 V for a dryer or an oven. A single breaker goes from either 120 V leg to N.

I've had a number of pokes off 120, but never 240. No wonder you remember it! Glad you were OK!

Back