Hot water heater lifespan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another factor that helps them last is where and how the unit is installed. A clean, dry basement with a somewhat constant ambient temperature is ideal.

Combine that with soft water and 20+ years is not uncommon at all.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Another factor that helps them last is where and how the unit is installed. A clean, dry basement with a somewhat constant ambient temperature is ideal.

Routine maintenance also helps tremendously. We recommend flushing the water heater every 6 months.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: JTK

Routine maintenance also helps tremendously. We recommend flushing the water heater every 6 months.

good reminder... Ours is different - indirect... But I suppose this would be smart for me to do as well...

Why would you heat hot water? Just kidding...

As an interesting aside:

Some of us, who have forced hot water for heating, can use an "indirect" water heater. This means the water is heated from a heat source that is not inside the water heater. Vaughn makes such a unit, called a "Top Plus," which I have and have enjoyed. I'm not seeing how it fails in at least 20 years:

http://www.vaughncorp.com/html/tp.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pete
Why would you heat hot water? Just kidding...

As an interesting aside:

Some of us, who have forced hot water for heating, can use an "indirect" water heater. This means the water is heated from a heat source that is not inside the water heater. Vaughn makes such a unit, called a "Top Plus," which I have and have enjoyed. I'm not seeing how it fails in at least 20 years:

http://www.vaughncorp.com/html/tp.html

Thats essentially what I have. Still gessing it is smart to get any silt or sedement out of the bottom...

Originally Posted By: raaizin
I have been a little concern with my hot water heater leaking as it has been a while since I last replaced it. My present hot water heater was manufactured in 1994, I didnt think it was that long ago. I guess I am due to swap it out. How long do they normally last.

Ours is the same age. It'll probably wait till our trip to Cali next month or Thailand trip in a couple years.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
I have a water softener and am on fairly hard well water. I take the anodes out because it reacts with the water and stinks.

You can change a magnesium anode out for an aluminum one or vice versa for the sulfur smell. That way you can still get the life-extending benefits of the anode.

I installed my Rheem heater in 2007 and want to replace the anode. I cannot get the old one to break loose. I have tried an electric impact wrench and a big breaker bar. I actually moved the whole heater (40 gal) and didn't budge the anode.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
what about tankless? how long do they typically last?

Hopefully a long time! Our Rinnai will only be 4 years old in March. They are "rumored" to last longer than the tank heaters, but time will tell..... there's certainly a lot more to go wrong with them, vs. a traditional tank heater (not including the heat pump/hybrid models)

We replaced a 17 year old 40 gal gas fired tank unit in '09 that sounded like explosive popcorn when you opened the hot tap on anything. Amusing once you got used to it. But I can only imagine how scaled up it was inside. We're on rural city water; hard as a rock without a softener, and I don't know how long the softener was in the house before we bought it in '08. But the heater still worked fine if you could get past the "popping"..

Next water heater I'll try a different rod. I had to lay mine on it's side then use a breaker bar and a pipe extension to get the anode out.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Next water heater I'll try a different rod. I had to lay mine on it's side then use a breaker bar and a pipe extension to get the anode out.

After I reread your post I noticed you said you had a water softener. That will probably extend the WH life as much, or more, than the anode. Mine sits on a platform in the garage so I had purchased one of those segmented anodes due to lack of space between the WH and ceiling. I paid about $30 for it online and am peeved that I could not budge the one that's in there. I tried the impact wrench again after letting it soak with penetrating oil. No dice.

Take a torch to the hex. I'm sure they use loctitie which will soften with some heat.

Yes the softener will extend the life greatly. The water around me too is from limestone aquifers so it is buffered well to. 20 years is what I get.

I have it insulated with a fiberglass blanket. Last year I thought I had a leak and stripped it down. Turns out the leak was at the pipe connection. But I wrapped the water heater tank in some reflective bubble wrap and then put on the fiberglass blanket. Made a huge difference in standby loss.

Good read! Mine is a GE (Rheem) from Home Depot with twelve year warranty, but it only has one anode, according to the mfg web site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back