horseradish

As far as roast beef, Miller's is a local favorite and probably can be found at a Wegmans if you have one nearby. It's pure fire when fresh but does decline quickly after opening:

horseradish.JPG

It goes great with a Buffalo style Beef on Weck:

5f72332dadba9.image.jpg

Why? I never understand why people eat overly hot food other than trying to show others how manly they are, eating it. It doesn't ad much in flavor when your taste buds are on fire. You might as well eat a cup of broken glass because that's what it feels like the morning after.
Everyone has different tolerance for spice level.

Actually, horseradish isn't all that spicy compared to some powdered cayenne or other very hot peppers. Plus, I find horseradish to have some flavor. It goes very well with certain meats.

Everyone has different tolerance for spice level.

Actually, horseradish isn't all that spicy compared to some powdered cayenne or other very hot peppers. Plus, I find horseradish to have some flavor. It goes very well with certain meats.

It depends on how concentrated. Horseradish, wasabi, and other vegetables get their bite from mustard oil. Chili peppers are capsicum. It's a different kind of pain.

You can get a little of that from quite a few vegetables. There's a little in the stems of bok choy.

Why? I never understand why people eat overly hot food other than trying to show others how manly they are, eating it. It doesn't ad much in flavor when your taste buds are on fire. You might as well eat a cup of broken glass because that's what it feels like the morning after.
you either get or you don’t 🤷‍♂️

How about Cayenne pepper?

That's capsicum, which has capsaicin. Not the same effect as horseradish, which eventually releases allyl isothiocyanate from sinigrin. Also a few other precursors that will create a burning sensation in skin.

Capsaicin tricks pain receptors into thinking that the skin/tongue/etc is burning. Allyl isothiocyanate hits the nose as a vapor and triggers a really sharp pain reaction, but it tends to be over quickly. A chili pepper burn can take a while to subside. I've eaten a whole habanero pepper before and was still feeling it after an hour. A wasabi or horseradish burn is over within seconds.

Apparently the pungency of horseradish can be controlled by waiting until it's at the desired level, then adding vinegar to stop the conversion into allyl isothiocyanate. It'll then convert to allyl cyanide, which isn't as toxic as it sounds. For the maximum burn you leave it in place without vinegar.

Back inside the warm confines of the house, I cut off the tops of the horseradish roots, rinse off the dirt under water, and scrub them clean with a wash rag. The “typical” method of preparing horseradish is to grate or grind the horseradish with an equal amount of water, wait a few minutes for the allyl isothiocyanate to build up to the desired hotness, then quench the reaction with a tablespoon or two of vinegar. Throw in a pinch of salt, and you’re done. You’re always cautioned to do this in a well ventilated area or outdoors. But screw that. One, it’s cold outside, and two, and most importantly, I’m a Scientist.​

Horseradish the real thing plant it in you garden. You will likely get your first harvest in two or three years. Processing it and eating it both will give you tears. Twice as much fun and for less money.

Last edited:
How about Cayenne pepper?
cayenne is pretty weak as far as peppers go, you can find it in mild sauces like crystal. i could probably put cayenne flakes in a pipe and smoke it and i wouldn’t feel much. actually probably not, but you get the point.

something like a carolina reaper will give me trouble and it could put an unsuspecting person in the hospital. beyond reaper flakes most hot sauces are literally pepper spray with hot dog water flavor, horrible.

Last edited:
cayenne is pretty weak as far as peppers go, you can find it in mild sauces like crystal. i could probably put cayenne flakes in a pipe and smoke it and i wouldn’t feel much. actually probably not, but you get the point.

something like a carolina reaper will give me trouble and it could put an unsuspecting person in the hospital. beyond reaper flakes most hot sauces are literally pepper spray with hot dog water flavor, horrible.

Cayenne is on the hotter side. Definitely hotter than jalapeño or serrano. When you start getting into the habanero heat range is when the serious pain starts. I tried taking a bite out of a bhut jolokia and it was uncontrollably painful for a few minutes. But if you want nasty, there pure capsaicin powder. I think it took a while for this guy because it was dry. Some of these kits come with gloves and respirators.

Add a little prime rib to it...
I was going to say, the shredded horseradish at the Mission Ranch in Carmel is my absolute favorite. I love to go there to get horseradish with a side of prime rib!

Store bought, Kelchner’s is the best, IMO.

I love horseradish and horseradish sauces. Like all other hot food stuff, I consume it in small quantities that will complement a dish rather than trying to nuke my taste buds and tonsils. I simply grate some fresh horseradish root, add vinegar and salt, maybe add some crushed mustard. seeds

Last edited:
Go to a super high end sushi place and often they will grate real wasabi in front of you. taste different than the fake stuff. not as spicy .

I love horseradish and horseradish sauces. Like all other hot food stuff, I consume it in small quantities that will complement a dish rather than trying to nuke my taste buds and tonsils. I simply grate some fresh horseradish root, add vinegar and salt, maybe add some crushed mustard. seeds
I don't think of horseradish as something very hot or added to a dish just to raise the heat level like they do with peppers. It's more of a condiment like mustard or relish to add flavor.

in my case we were at a fancy restaurant in China about 15 years ago. They brought out a plate of thinly sliced tuna and then proceeded to grate a Wasabi root at the table. It was quite strong and very good. We were with about 10 native Chinese, and they were watching intently at the white guy using chopsticks to get a piece of tuna, spread with wasabi and then eat it without gagging. After that they were much more friendly, and we had a wonderful dinner. Would have been over $100 in USA. There was about 10 USD per person. It was very hard to control my reaction, but I did.

Rod

Agree with a lot of what has been posted. I will add that the “heat” shelf life of horseradish is less than other hot sauce condiments I’ve had.

I don't think of horseradish as something very hot or added to a dish just to raise the heat level like they do with peppers. It's more of a condiment like mustard or relish to add flavor.
You are probably thinking of ready-to-eat commercial horseadish products that have been mixed with cream. Try freshly grated horseradish. It's not about how hot it is but about flavor. Horseradish is also good for you. It has anti-microbial properties and it will open up congested sinuses.

Back