Horrible oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I changed the oil in my 2016 Nissan Rogue SV 2.5. I used a Purolator Boss 14612 and a 5 quart jug of Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20. After draining the oil and removing the old filter I cleaned off the filter base and made sure the old filter gasket was removed. It was still on the old filter. I oiled the gasket and threads on the new filter and installed it and snugged it up hand tight. I put the drain plug back in and tightened it securely. I poured in the 5 quarts of oil and reset the fill cap tight. I checked underneath and no leaks. Then started up the engine and with in 4-5 seconds, I heard a pop and a message came up on the dash "no oil pressure, turn off engine" which I did. I got out of the car and found oil flowing all over the driveway. I used all my shop towels to absorb the oil. I checked and saw the fill cap on tight and got back under the car as it was still on ramps. The oil drain plug was in tight. I expected to find the oil filter ruptured or some other way damaged but no damage I could see or feel and It was still on tight. The only thing I could think was that the oil filter was bad. I had a Nissan filter and another 5 qt jug of 0W-20 in the garage so I replaced the Purolator with the Nissan filter and topped up the oil. It took 4 qts. I started up the car again and now everything is fine. For the life of me I can't figure out what went wrong other than a bad filter. My question is where did the oil blow out from? Is the a relief pressure relief valve there somewhere that opened and blew the oil out to relieve backed up pressure? Sorry for being so long winded. Thanks for any help.

The pop suggests one of 2 things

Either the tread slipped because it was close but oversize,

Or something split somewhere. You should be able to see it on the outside of the filter.

It was a massive leak, probable make a heck of a mess.

Rod

You said you snugged the filter on hand tight.. it wasnt on tight enough for the gasket to mate to the base. I recently did the same thing but caught it quicker than you.

Can you post some pics of the filter in question? It might help someone figure it out.

Sounds disturbing to say the least.

It cant be the filter since you said you checked and didn't find any damage, but was there oil leaking from the base of the filter?

have a look around again inside the engine bay. the amount of oil you found would have come from somewhere.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
You said you snugged the filter on hand tight.. it wasnt on tight enough for the gasket to mate to the base. I recently did the same thing but caught it quicker than you.

Filter makers say 3/4-1 turn after the gasket makes contact. That's what I've done forever....by hand.

OP, a massive oil leak had to come from somewhere, it would be wise to determine where.

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
The pop suggests one of 2 things

Either the tread slipped because it was close but oversize,

Or something split somewhere. You should be able to see it on the outside of the filter.

It was a massive leak, probable make a heck of a mess.

Rod

It was one heck of a mess. I have been eyeballing that filter and running my fingers all over it but I can't see or feel anything wrong. But obviously something went wrong.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
You said you snugged the filter on hand tight.. it wasnt on tight enough for the gasket to mate to the base.

I only ever tighten by hand.... I never use anything other than "hand-tightened"

maybe a defective gasket on the base of the filter? you should be able to tell something by the oil loss (where it went)

Originally Posted by Macky

It cant be the filter since you said you checked and didn't find any damage, but was there oil leaking from the base of the filter?

have a look around again inside the engine bay. the amount of oil you found would have come from somewhere.

Originally Posted by Macky

The oil is on the underside of the engine. None made it up top. There was oil all over underneath. It seemed to be coming from the area of the oil filter but the filter was snugged on as tight as I could get it and I still can't find any damage to it. I think it definitely had something to do with the filter. Maybe something wrong with the mounting plate. I called Nissan and spoke to the service advisor asking him if there was any kind of pressure relief valve there but he didn't know. He sent a message to the service manager who is a Nissan Tech for him to call me tomorrow as he wasn't in today.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
Can you post some pics of the filter in question? It might help someone figure it out.

Sounds disturbing to say the least.

I have taken some photos of the filter and uploaded them to my computer but can't figure how to load them into a reply.

Originally Posted by Frank D

The oil is on the underside of the engine. None made it up top. There was oil all over underneath. It seemed to be coming from the area of the oil filter but the filter was snugged on as tight as I could get it and I still can't find any damage to it. I think it definitely had something to do with the filter. Maybe something wrong with the mounting plate. I called Nissan and spoke to the service advisor asking him if there was any kind of pressure relief valve there but he didn't know. He sent a message to the service manager who is a Nissan Tech for him to call me tomorrow as he wasn't in today.

Ah gotcha.

My guess would be the seal. it may have not seated properly, or could have had a tear of some sort somewhere on it.

I know this sounds silly but have you removed the filter and inspected it? I'm leaning towards the rubber seal being bad or damaged.

Either way, hope this gets sorted out for you. Good luck!

Is that the specified filter?

Purolator somewhat recently (2 or 3 years ago now maybe) changed the tapping plate design of some filters and they don't fit some things they used to (most notably motorcycles, snowmobiles ATVs...) if it is the specified filter it should be fine, but if it isn't the catalog filter then it could suffer from the same problem, which is that the threads bottom out before the gasket is under sufficient pressure to retain it. The pop could be the gasket letting go...

I would also carefully examine the crimp at the tapping plate...

Originally Posted by carviewsonic
Filter cross threaded and/or threads on the filter not manufactured properly?

This is my bet unless the OP visually confirmed that the filter gasket was snugged up.

The OP did nothing else except replace the filter and now the problem is solved. It HAS to be filter-related.

Check the filter you threw out and see if the gasket is still there. It's possible that two gaskets exist now and the old one that remained shifted a little and that stopped the initial massive leak.

If you have two gaskets on there now and it's not leaking, I still wouldn't trust it to last.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back