Hooking up a laptop to 720p TV set

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a laptop that has VGA output port (and USB+). The TV is a 720p set with Component, composite and HDMI inputs. I bought a cable that was supposed to turn the VGA output to component but the TV set did not recognize it.

So, is there any way to hook up the laptop to the TV?

What resolution was your laptop set to?

Can you try setting it to 640x480? Are you sure the VGA output it turned on, either via a keyboard shortcut or sometimes the BIOS?

Might the refresh rate also have to be correct for the TV?

Edit: The more I think about this the more I think you can't go from VGA out to component in with just a cable. The signals aren;t the same, are they?

Last edited:
You have to set the laptop's output to 720P(1280x720). The TV will, most likely, not recognize any other resolution. Depending on what video chipset is in the laptop there may be a utility to do this. ATI and Nvidia both allow you to set modes with their respective utilities.

A VGA-to-Component cable will not work with your TV. Those cables are designed to work with older projectors and monitors that accept an RGB input. Your TV is designed to work with Y'CbCr component input(the type output by DVD players and video game consoles), not RGB. Despite using the same cables, the two are entirely different transmission formats. To get this to work you need a very costly VGA to HDMI converter box.

I was trying to get my laptop to work via the VGA input on my small Samsung.......I used the keyboard shortcut. Not trying to hijack this thread, but my question is similar.

But I never thought about the resolution or the hertz setting?

The resolution changes when I do the [function]+F6 to activate the VGA output. I think Intrinsic is right - the VGA output is not compatible with the component input.

I think the laptop has an S-video output and the TV has an S-video input. Maybe that will work.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
I think the laptop has an S-video output and the TV has an S-video input. Maybe that will work.

That should definitely work.

It depends on the resolution that you set your laptop to. My TV support only standard resolution like 640x480 and 1024x768 for any interface other than HDMI.

So you might want to try a resolution that is standard, and a refresh rate that is 60Hz

A component input will at least support 480p/480i and probably 720p as well (I know of at least one TV with two sets of component inputs, one only supports 480p, the other supports 480i,480p, and 1080i).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back