Hoo Boy Look What I did.

5C990FC1-B4BD-40E3-B9F9-B199F10B63DB.jpeg

This is a Hope Pro4 on my favorite bicycle. Was I climbing a huge hill? Landing from a huge drop? None of that.
I was exercising my dog. We stopped for him to pee. While stopped, my bars turned hard right. I started to pedal and only had one hand on the bars. The other had the leash. I was turning right to start leading him back home. There was a lot of resistance pushing the pedal into the hard turn. Suddenly I hear a bad sound and the cranks were moving without the bike moving forward.
I’m told this happens to Hopes. This hub was about five years old. I’m glad it didn’t happen this past Sunday. I did a ride with lots of technical climbing. That would have been bad if it failed then.

Wow. Even if it's out of warranty, that's the kind of photo that may get you a courtesy replacement.

No. A Hope Pro4. It was about five years old. Some people feel this is a common failure. It was my first.

Wow. Even if it's out of warranty, that's the kind of photo that may get you a courtesy replacement.
I would love it if they would even sell me just the shell. Everything else is fine. These hubs are about 250 complete so a break would be nice.
I just bought a DT Swiss 350 as a replacement. Never had one before. Want to give it a try.

This happened on my Giant XTC only a couple of months after I bought it, back in 2015.

I‘m out of the saddle, cranking hard on the pedals, and all of the sudden I’m doing a handstand on the bars…then I’m OVER the bars…then I’m on my butt, on the ground.

They replaced under warranty and the new one’s been fine since.

This happened on my Giant XTC only a couple of months after I bought it, back in 2015.

I‘m out of the saddle, cranking hard on the pedals, and all of the sudden I’m doing a handstand on the bars…then I’m OVER the bars…then I’m on my butt, on the ground.

They replaced under warranty and the new one’s been fine since.
Nice.

View attachment 73015
This is a Hope Pro4 on my favorite bicycle. Was I climbing a huge hill? Landing from a huge drop? None of that.
I was exercising my dog. We stopped for him to pee. While stopped, my bars turned hard right. I started to pedal and only had one hand on the bars. The other had the leash. I was turning right to start leading him back home. There was a lot of resistance pushing the pedal into the hard turn. Suddenly I hear a bad sound and the cranks were moving without the bike moving forward.
I’m told this happens to Hopes. This hub was about five years old. I’m glad it didn’t happen this past Sunday. I did a ride with lots of technical climbing. That would have been bad if it failed then.
Getting close to needing a new chain ring, too. Shark fins

I’ve already removed that hub from the rim. I have a DT Swiss hub and new spokes on the way. Hopefully I’ll be back on that bike by Sunday.

View attachment 73015
Ouch! How far did you get to walk?

Well, that could have been worse! There should be a thread here on "how far have you had to walk a disabled bike?".

I think my longest was last winter - I got a flat on the Pugsley about 4 km from home, and it was cold enough that I was unable to apply a patch with my fingers freezing. Of course the bike was heaving loaded, and of course it was the back tire, so I had to not only push the bike but also lift the rack a bit so as to minimize the weight on the flat tire. That same tire gave out a few weeks later; it would not grip the rim any longer, so my efforts had been in vain. 😠

Well, that could have been worse! There should be a thread here on "how far have you had to walk a disabled bike?".

I think my longest was last winter - I got a flat on the Pugsley about 4 km from home, and it was cold enough that I was unable to apply a patch with my fingers freezing. Of course the bike was heaving loaded, and of course it was the back tire, so I had to not only push the bike but also lift the rack a bit so as to minimize the weight on the flat tire. That same tire gave out a few weeks later; it would not grip the rim any longer, so my efforts had been in vain. 😠
No fun.

Man, if I paid that much for a hub and it crapped out after 5 years without something spectacularly violent happening, I'd be pissed.
I'm not pissed but I'm not thrilled either. So yesterday I took the wheel apart in anticipation of the new hub showing up tomorrow. I found something interesting. Where the spokes go through the hub flanges, there was fairly serious corrosion. Enough to make some drag on pulling the spokes out. The crack started right in the middle of one of the spoke holes. I wonder if the corrosion didn't cause this. I showed it to my friend who's a life long bike shop mechanic. He says it absolutely caused it. I said what do I do to combat this? I suggested relacing the wheel every couple of years or maybe removing the cassette and brake rotor and washing it down with WD-40.
Funny... I was going to replace the spokes and nipples since the nipples look terrible. I'm a big guy and I ride this bike in snow and on the beach. I really can't be too upset.

Back