Honey, they shrunk my... filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Just picked up a couple FRAM Ultra's for the RAM and discovered that they are seriously downsized from the previous filter the 5.7L called for as well as the current 6 4L filter
crazy2.gif

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

One of these with M1 EP 0w-20 are going in the truck tomorrow, it's got ~1,000Km on it now, so time to flush out the break-in junk.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

One of these with M1 EP 0w-20 are going in the truck tomorrow, it's got ~1,000Km on it now, so time to flush out the break-in junk.

Be careful talking about dumping the FF early around here. You should know what can happen when that topic is brought up. LOL FTR- I dump it early too!

I dumped the factory fill in my Ram around the 1500km mark if I remember right. I use the Mopar oil filters, MO339 I think is the number? Not a very big filter really.

Possibly we are seeing Fram consolidating product line to reduce the number of variants in the marketplace. What else does the XG10060 fit?

Originally Posted by das_peikko
Originally Posted by chantheman
What else does the XG10060 fit?

According to FRAM, a Dodge RAM 1500 2019 V8 5.7L
Ruh roh, OVERKILL might be stuck with that thimble filter after all!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by maxdustington

Ruh roh, OVERKILL might be stuck with that thimble filter after all!
laugh.gif

Yeah, at least there is a high-flow synthetic media filter available
lol.gif

I would have expected the 6.4L and the 5.7L to take the same filter, but apparently Mother Mopar had other plans.

Apparently, a lot of newer Chevys, also

Originally Posted by chainblu
A Fram 2 and a Fram 10060 will interchange, room permitting.

XG10060:
Height 3.33
Inside Diameter 22mmx1.5mm Th'd
Outside Diameter 3
Anti-Drainback Valve YES
By-Pass Valve Setting 9-15
Style 1
Base Gasket I.D. 2.45
Base Gasket O.D. 2.76
Base Gasket Thickness 0.191

XG2:
Height 3.984
Outside Diameter 3.656
Anti-Drainback Valve YES
By-Pass Valve Setting 12
Style 1
Turning Specification 3/4-1
Base Gasket I.D. 2.422
Base Gasket O.D. 2.813
Base Gasket Thickness 0.203

So threads are the same, bypass valve is roughly the same, gasket ID/OD is a bit different with the XG2 having a more generous gasket. So yes, I'd say your observations are correct, that the XG2 should work, provided it fits in the space available.

Originally Posted by chainblu
A Fram 2 and a Fram 10060 will interchange, room permitting.

Yup, identical threads, almost identical gasket sizes, similar bypass (XG2 is 12 psi, XG10060 is 9-15).
Biggest issue will be the can diameter, will the XG2 (3.656") fit where theXG10060 (3") is now. XG2 is also about 1/2" longer.

I may try the 10060 size filter on my F150, the XG2 size is a bit big getting it into place.

edit: Overkill beat me to it. Thats what I get for having multiple windows open.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OVERKILL

XG10060:
Height 3.33
Outside Diameter 3
Anti-Drainback Valve YES
By-Pass Valve Setting 9-15
Style 1
Base Gasket I.D. 2.45
Base Gasket O.D. 2.76
Base Gasket Thickness 0.191

XG2:
Height 3.984
Outside Diameter 3.656
Anti-Drainback Valve YES
By-Pass Valve Setting 12
Style 1
Turning Specification 3/4-1
Base Gasket I.D. 2.422
Base Gasket O.D. 2.813
Base Gasket Thickness 0.203

So threads are the same, bypass valve is roughly the same, gasket ID/OD is a bit different with the XG2 having a more generous gasket. So yes, I'd say your observations are correct, that the XG2 should work, provided it fits in the space available.

The gasket size is not the same; that's all you need to know.

The base gaskets are close enough - should work fine. The gasket on the XG2 is just a bit wider (same ID, slightly larger OD), which gives more sealing area on the filter mount. Just make sure the mount is a bit larger in dia then the gasket OD.

The largest difference is the OD at just over 5 thousandths larger. Since this is a circle, if you were to lay these gaskets on top of each other it would be 2-3 thousandths overhanging all the way around.
There is enough metal cut on the base plate to accommodate that. Trust me, there is. Its a car, not the space shuttle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Colt45ws

The largest difference is the OD at about 5 thousandths larger. There is enough metal cut on the base plate to accommodate that. Trust me, there is.

More like 50 thou, which is 1.25 mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back