Honda VTM fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2004 Honda Pilot. The rear end requires a Honda fluid . (VTM Fluid) Does anyone know what this stuff is?
I changed it at 7500 miles as I was up in the Mountains... alot. Honda says change at 7500 in severe use. (15000 for regulae service)
It was very thin,like a motor oil, yet smelled like a gear oil.

Fred, I think that this oil is a Mercon III. I am thinking about running a VOA on it, I picked some up at the dealer yesterday. -Joe

quote:

Originally posted by Fred Bear:
I have a 2004 Honda Pilot. The rear end requires a Honda fluid . (VTM Fluid) Does anyone know what this stuff is?
I changed it at 7500 miles as I was up in the Mountains... alot. Honda says change at 7500 in severe use. (15000 for regulae service)
It was very thin,like a motor oil, yet smelled like a gear oil.

Are you sure it's 7.5/15k service? IIRC, my wifes MDX manual states 15k/30k severe and normal service respectively. I did the change at 15k - fluid and magnet clean of contaminants.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:

quote:

Fred, I think that this oil is a Mercon III.

Sorry, no such thing.

There is DexronIII/Mercon, MerconV, etc.

Thanks for the correction Mola. By 10:10 PM, It had been a long day
pat.gif

I meant to say that I think the oil is a DextronIII/Mercon oil, with additives to Honda's spec. Maybe a VOA will tell. -Joe

I think most transmission and driveline fluids have very complex additives that will not show up in a $20 UOA, so don't waste your time/money.

VTM? Never heard of it. My 2005 CR-V calls for "Dual Pump" fluid only from Honda every 60k, perhaps the Pilot is different. (I'm changing it out at 30k though....thanks a lot BITOG.)

The Pilot/MDX and the Ridgeline have a part-time all wheel drive system called VTM-4, "Variable Torque Management® 4-Wheel-Drive System (VTM-4®)
From the Honda Website:
"The Pilot's VTM-4® system operates automatically. But when you need to start off in extreme low-traction conditions such as when stopped in mud, on ice or in loose gravel, the thoughtful VTM-4® Lock feature lets you manually lock the rear differential to help get you moving. And it can stay manually locked up to 18 mph."

The fluid that goes in the rear-end is very thin, like a 10W or 15W fluid. It was alos very hot out when I poured the fluid into the sample bottle though, I guess I'll know the visc. when I get the sample back, Joe

[ August 17, 2006, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: joee12 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back