honda vs tyc a/c condenser?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to get everyone's opinion of what to choose. I'm just not sure.

I have a 96 civic (the project civic I've been working on), about 4-5 years ago gutted/replaced the entire a/c system. Went with mostly honda parts except for the condenser (tyc) and the compressor (denso). After the repairs the system was colder than it had ever been! Even when it was new with all Honda parts. Which was awesome.

Now, today, the tyc brand condenser is leaking and needs to be replaced.

My question is.. was the system that cold because of the denso compressor? or because of the tyc condenser? I know it's basically a radiator expelling the heat but trying to figure out which component would cause it to be this cold. Since it was never that good, even when brand new.

The other question is.. should I go back to the tyc brand for the condenser or just spend about $120 more for the Honda condenser?? Thought I'd ask everyone here..

Anytime I used TYC parts I was disappointed by a lack of durability or long term quality. It may have contributed to the improved performance but I doubt it. Sometimes cars don't leave the factory with the correct charge in them so that might explain why you feel it was better than OE.

I put a "TYC" Radiator in an 2001 Civic in 2014 and posted HERE. Fit was perfect and though now in the ownership of a family member, still functioning properly. Interestingly turned out it was really a Koyo Radiator as noted on the box. No regrets about going TYC.

As for your choice, since you're doing the work you have to decide if peace of mind with Honda oem is worth the extra $120 for a 96 vehicle. Since I've had a good result with the TYC purchase, I'd likely go that route. Your call.

No. The system was that cold because it had a proper charge and the condenser was new with no oxidation, bugs, dirt blocking heat transfer.

Last edited:
The compressor. I once fitted a reman compressor and had a vent temp differential problem nobody could fix. Put the OEM compressor back in, problem disappeared.

The system was cold because everything was working with enough gas in the system. Like the guy that said I got new tires, an alignment, a complete tune up and valve adjust,because the engine had a miss for the past year and the oil changed to Amsoil and that Amsoil increased my MPGS by 2 mpgs. That Amsoil is super stuff.

thanks to everyone for their info on this.. I am definitely going to go with the Honda. Yes it's a 96, but the entire a/c system was already replaced, not going to go cheap now. Even though a couple years ago used the tyc condenser and its bad now (leaking).. Either pay now or pay later!

I wondered about the tyc quality, they made the hvac blower fan motor and it was good, looks like the condenser isn't that great. And it makes sense that it was that the entire system was new, compared to old, plus it was the denso compressor that made the difference. Definitely, the original sanden was never that good.

and to sayjac, I'm glad you got lucky and your radiator worked out! That's good!! but I think when the difference between Honda and aftermarket is only $120, I don't care to spend $$$ for the labor to re-do the job if the aftermarket decides to go bad.

The part I will gamble on is the a/c condenser fan assembly for aftermarket, since honda wants over $350 which to me it's only a fan. A lot easier to replace that if the aftermarket goes bad than a bad condenser.

Thanks again to everyone, you have helped a lot in this decision!
thumbsup2.gif
grin2.gif
01.gif

The original A/C compressor wasn't a Denso product? I would replace components with OEM units. The three Honda vehicles I have owned were trouble-free except an A/C condenser which was replaced under warranty. Build up of ice during a Colorado February blizzard caused the condenser discharge pipe to fracture at connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back