Honda vs. Briggs and Stratton

have used both. the briggs is very powerfull but has the auto start carb/choke system -prone to failure.the honda is awesome -reliable and strong enough

" The 190 is on a HRX217 model, and it is a great engine/mower. Starts on the first effortless pull every darned time!"

I was looking at this mower also, but took it out of the running because I read they had suction problems. Can you shed any light on this for me?

You can see my other post below. I've also been looking at the Toro 20382 that is recommended here. It's actually more expensive, but I have found it online for less with free shipping. I was going to call Toro tomorrow though and ask them how that works with the warranty if I don't buy it locally? I did that once with a sump pump & it was a big mistake when it failed while still under warranty. They wanted me to pay to ship it back & finally split it with me but it was still ridiculous.

How would you compare the HRX 217 vs. the 20382?

It seems so hard to decide, they all seem like good mowers. I have to call a couple of places tomorrow, but I'm having trouble finding them locally to try them out for maneuverability.

Originally Posted by Latte1
" The 190 is on a HRX217 model, and it is a great engine/mower. Starts on the first effortless pull every darned time!"

I was looking at this mower also, but took it out of the running because I read they had suction problems. Can you shed any light on this for me?

You can see my other post below. I've also been looking at the Toro 20382 that is recommended here. It's actually more expensive, but I have found it online for less with free shipping. I was going to call Toro tomorrow though and ask them how that works with the warranty if I don't buy it locally? I did that once with a sump pump & it was a big mistake when it failed while still under warranty. They wanted me to pay to ship it back & finally split it with me but it was still ridiculous.

How would you compare the HRX 217 vs. the 20382?

It seems so hard to decide, they all seem like good mowers. I have to call a couple of places tomorrow, but I'm having trouble finding them locally to try them out for maneuverability.

When I bought my Toro 20382 from Mowersdirect.com I asked about how the warranty worked, and this was their response:

"Answer:

There are two separate warranties that cover the unit in question; the 3-year engine warranty from Honda and the 5-year mower warranty from Toro. If an engine problem occurs, you will need to take it to a certified Honda service center. If there is something defective with any component other than the engine, you would exercise the warranty coverage from Toro and take it to one of their certified service centers. We emphasize the "FULL 5-Year warranty" in the features because many manufacturers omit the transmission from their warranty coverage."

So basically you take it to a local Honda power equipment dealer if there is an engine issue, and a local Toro dealer for an issue with the mower itself.

I was comparing the HRX217 and Toro 20382 when I was shopping around. I never heard any issues regarding suction on the Honda. The reason I didn't buy the Honda was the more expensive price, the heavier weight, and the reports of transmission problems (along with my own experience with customers' Hondas). The Toro does not have the blade clutch, but it starts very easily. Mowers Direct has the model 20382 on sale now for $519.99. The cheapest Honda HRX217 I could find at the time was $700.

Thank you for your patience with me.
wink.gif

I've been calling around and haven't found one yet to go see, but now am also wondering what you think about this year‘s model of it, 21382?

Is it a finer mulch, any other differences that you can see besides the color, which I do have to say I like. It weighs the same thing, 85 lbs.
https://www.toro.com/en/homeowner/walk-behind-mowers/21-personal-pace-21382

Last edited:
Thank you for your patience with me.
wink.gif

I've been calling around and haven't found one yet to go see, but now am also wondering what you think about this year‘s model of it, 21382?

Is it a finer mulch, any other differences that you can see besides the color, which I do have to say I like. It weighs the same thing, 85 lbs.
https://www.toro.com/en/homeowner/walk-behind-mowers/21-personal-pace-21382

The 21382 is a great mower also, it's identical to my 20382 besides the color of the mower. The 20382 is last year's model which is why it is on sale.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

Well, I ordered it. I got the newer one & I know it's silly, but I paid the extra for the color because I've never been a fan of red. Supposedly it mulches a little finer, that's worth $50 more, lol.

It's backordered, they're not supposed to get it in until 6/18 & it'll ship a couple of days later, but Mowers Direct is only about a half an hour from me so it shouldn't take long at all. The guy who took my order lives in a couple of towns over and we talked about the restaurant his Dad owns in town.

Next, I'll ask the guy who repaired mine for me this year if he thinks I could sell it for what I paid to repair it.

Thanks again, I can't tell you how much your help meant to me.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

Well, I ordered it. I got the newer one & I know it's silly, but I paid the extra for the color because I've never been a fan of red. Supposedly it mulches a little finer, that's worth $50 more, lol.

It's backordered, they're not supposed to get it in until 6/18 & it'll ship a couple of days later, but Mowers Direct is only about a half an hour from me so it shouldn't take long at all. The guy who took my order lives in a couple of towns over and we talked about the restaurant his Dad owns in town.

Next, I'll ask the guy who repaired mine for me this year if he thinks I could sell it for what I paid to repair it.

Thanks again, I can't tell you how much your help meant to me.

Glad we could help out, that is what this forum is for!
smile.gif

Mine was on back-order as well, but shipped about a week sooner than they said it would.

Yes, I love forums. It's wonderful getting the experiences of others. I'll keep my fingers crossed it'll come early.

I called to ask about it and I had to order it over the phone because I couldn't order it online because it was backordered. I asked him what time they were open to because I told him I was waiting for you first and then your reply came while I was still on the phone with him so I told him, "I heard from him, I can order it now."
wink.gif
I had an hour and a half to hear from you to still get the last day of the sale price.

Thanks again.

Yes, I love forums. It's wonderful getting the experiences of others. I'll keep my fingers crossed it'll come early.

I called to ask about it and I had to order it over the phone because I couldn't order it online because it was backordered. I asked him what time they were open to because I told him I was waiting for you first and then your reply came while I was still on the phone with him so I told him, "I heard from him, I can order it now."
wink.gif
I had an hour and a half to hear from you to still get the last day of the sale price.

Thanks again.

Glad we could help!

Also just to note, my mower came in a box without any engine oil, so you will need to purchase a quart of oil separately. The Honda engine takes about 13 ounces of 10w30 oil. Run that for the first few hours of use for initial engine break-in then change the oil again. 1 quart of 10w30 oil will work perfect for two changes.
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks, that's good to know. I watched a video on changing oil on a lawn mower & they used an extractor & that sounded so much easier to me than turning it over, I always hated doing that. The extractor they used was expensive though when I Googled it & I wondered if you have experience with these? I found this less expensive one on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Stratton-5430K-Extractor-1-6-Liter/dp/B009POW2CG

This was so much easier when my husband did it, the things a widow needs to learn.
wink.gif

Thanks, that's good to know. I watched a video on changing oil on a lawn mower & they used an extractor & that sounded so much easier to me than turning it over, I always hated doing that. The extractor they used was expensive though when I Googled it & I wondered if you have experience with these? I found this less expensive one on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Stratton-5430K-Extractor-1-6-Liter/dp/B009POW2CG

This was so much easier when my husband did it, the things a widow needs to learn.
wink.gif

That should work well! I have a similar one that I use and I've never had any issues with it. Just make sure the engine is warmed up first otherwise the oil can take a lot longer to go into the extractor.

Just want you to know I finally got it last week! My neighbor helped me figure it out because I thought the instructions and pictures that came with it left something to be desired, a guy in a YouTube video said the same thing.
wink.gif

Anyway, I just want you to know that now that I know how to use it, I love it. It makes cutting the lawn so easy, it's like taking a walk after having to push my old one that wasn't self-propelled.

Thanks so much again for all of your help.
smile.gif

Just want you to know I finally got it last week! My neighbor helped me figure it out because I thought the instructions and pictures that came with it left something to be desired, a guy in a YouTube video said the same thing.
wink.gif

Anyway, I just want you to know that now that I know how to use it, I love it. It makes cutting the lawn so easy, it's like taking a walk after having to push my old one that wasn't self-propelled.

Thanks so much again for all of your help.
smile.gif

Awesome! I agree on the instructions, they were pretty terrible.

Back