Honda V6 Valve Cover Pictures

Somewhere after 100k usually. I've never heard of them outright failing though. Usually just seepage, nothing that will leave you stranded for the most part.
Would HM oil help with the seepage? My Ody is approaching 121k and I don't plan to open the covers until the next TB job if possible.

Would HM oil help with the seepage? My Ody is approaching 121k and I don't plan to open the covers until the next TB job if possible.
Won't hurt to try it. May or may not help, but you'll probably be fine waiting till the next TB. I didn't do my Accord till well over 200k.

Is OCI related to seal leakage? I thought it wasn’t. Otherwise engines with varnish would be notorious leakers, right?
They sometimes are. Some folks have speculated that old/worn oil with acids (higher TAN?) will deteriorate seals.

What's the book time for that job (by itself) ?
It varies by engine code, but this one was 6.1 hours for oil pump r/r. You still need to add .5 for the w/p and .2 for the tensioner(s). Then you usually add on an extra 1 hr for cleaning since everything is usually a nasty mess. So 7.8 hours. Typical dealer price is around $2K.

They sometimes are. Some folks have speculated that old/worn oil with acids (higher TAN?) will deteriorate seals.

It varies by engine code, but this one was 6.1 hours for oil pump r/r. You still need to add .5 for the w/p and .2 for the tensioner(s). Then you usually add on an extra 1 hr for cleaning since everything is usually a nasty mess. So 7.8 hours. Typical dealer price is around $2K.
wow, I learned to save $1.3k by diy in my drive way.

Gasbuggy said:
I need to adjust valves on my 06 3.0L
When do those oil pump seals usually fail?

The slow leak, a few drops on the driveway a day, started at 138,593 miles on my MDX. I replaced a bunch of o-rings and gaskets ~ 30 items total.

Does that stuff work?
i sold a bmw 745i with bad valve seals to a slimy dealer friend. before he drove off he poured the stuff in. gave him a visit a week later and no smoke at all from the car.

it works, at least long enough to move a car off the lot

Does that stuff work?

I've been told it does by someone who understood the chemical composition of rubber very well that it does work.

Personally, I can say that the BarsLeak oil seal conditioner does work very well. I found a person on a diesel forum that was one of the engineers who created it. He explained in more detail but the just was it was a quality seal conditioner and not a typical barrsleak junk product.

Back