Honda V6 Valve Cover Pictures

2014 J35Y1 with 119K. Not sure on oil change history, but the limited info suggests they were long (8K+).

The rear valve cover gasket was leaking moderately. I think there was a TSB for this oil leak issue on the 13-15 Accord V6's but both valve cover gaskets were moderately hard.

2 of the exhaust valves were on the tight end of spec. All others were on a few thousandths loose

The oil pump seal is also starting to seep (see red dashes) but the customer declined repair....even though I was also doing a timing belt service. 🤷🏻‍♂️

6EA723D5-0FA7-4DE1-B9A2-D4E0F862719F.jpeg

3A0EAEAF-FA3E-4272-AE9E-0B836FE0FCDA.jpeg

2 of the exhaust valves were on the tight end of spec. All other valves were a few thousandths looser than spec.

Last edited:
even the crappiest group 2 5w20 will be fine at that interval if you don’t like a lunatic

Last edited:
I’m thinking ANY oil that meets specs, especially this latest GF6 will keep an engine clean. One would have be negligent to get an engine to sludge up nowadays, excepting bad engine designs that cause it.

Big mistake on not doing the oil pump reseal . How much did you asked to do the reseal?

Check this V6 compares to the above at ~140K on 11 MDX. Front was full of black gunk. Oh and the PCV valve was clogged. Broke into pieces and stuck inside the cover. One big, end piece stuck inside the valve cover that took me half day to finally got it out. Talk about frustration, I almost drill a hole in the cover in order to get it out.
1623104823661.jpeg

Last edited:
Big mistake on not doing the oil pump reseal . How much did you asked to do the reseal?

Check this V6 compares to the above at ~140K on 11 MDX. Front was full of black gunk. Oh and the PCV valve was clogged. Broke into pieces and stuck inside the cover. One big, end piece stuck inside the valve cover that took me half day to finally got it out. Talk about frustration, I almost drill a hole in the cover in order to get it out.
Interesting,
I believe both motors simply recommend a synthetic oil varying the starburst symbol…just about everything does? And, the Acura would recommend premium gas.

Back