Honda Recalls 410,000 Vehicles Over Faulty Brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honda Recalls 410,000 Vehicles Over Faulty Brake System

Honda has recalled more than 400,000 vehicles over concerns of brake failure, according to several news reports today.

While Honda's announcement pales in comparison to Toyota's recall of 8.5 million vehicles, its part of a growing number of automaker concerns about the possibility of faulty brake systems.

The recall includes 344,000 Odysseys and 68,000 Elements from the 2007 and 2008 model years.

Honda said in a statement that over time, brake pedals can feel "soft" and must be pressed closer to the floor to stop the vehicles. Left unrepaired, the problem could cause loss of braking power and possibly a crash, Honda spokesman Chris Martin said.

"It's definitely not operating the way it should, and it's safety systems, so it brings it to the recall status," he said.
Story continues below

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has reported three crashes due to the problem with minor injuries and no deaths, Martin said. Honda notified NHTSA of the recall on Monday, he said.

Drivers who fear that they've lost braking power should have their dealer check the brakes sooner, Martin said. The dealer can "bleed" air bubbles out of the hydraulic lines, which should fix the problem until the parts arrive for the final repair, he said.

Honda technicians will put plastic caps and sealant over two small holes in the device to stop the air from getting in, Martin said.

The automaker is still preparing a list of affected vehicles. After April 19, owners can determine if their vehicles are being recalled by going to or by calling (800) 999-1009, and selecting option number four. http://www.recalls.honda.com

Ryan McCarthy 03-16-10 02:32 PM

It is a known issue for long. The problem is as until now, dealers did not want to do anything about it.
If you go to the Odyssey forum, there is a guy who think he got into a accident because his brakes faded on him.
When I switch car, I really feel the difference and I have to take precautions about it the first few brakings.
We went to the dealers twice already, did nothing the first time and machined the rotors the second time because I insisted they do something (so more as a courtesy than anything else). Of course, did not change anything.

I don't know if this is because of the Toyota debacle or because they finally found the cause, but I hope it will solve our problem.

Honda Recalls 410,000 Vehicles Over Faulty Brakes

Those owners just didn't get Honda ZEN

4903217_8a7b46daaa_m.jpg

Always with the negative waves, Moriarty!

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
You know what? I'm just gonna start building my own cars.
One day, tooling around down West Market street in Akron, I saw a funny old-looking car. It had something of a Model T look to it, but the cabin was partly made of wood, among other things. On further inspection, it was no old Ford. I pulled up next to the driver who was sitting comfortably in the open air cockpit. "What is that?"

"I built it."
"Really?!"
"Take a look!" :)

I looked it over and sure enough, it did have a kind of home-brew look about it.

"I used to work for the auto plant down in (can't remember where now), put this together myself."
"Is it tagged and legal and everything?"
"See for yourself."

Sure enough, current license plates. The light changed, and off he puttered.

It may not be this way in Ohio any more, but at one time, you could build and operate your own vehicles without the usual safety falderal and such - something to do with being 'experimental'. I know my current city ordinances forbid experimental aircraft, not sure about land transportation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back