Honda Oil is made by....

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcy

..Petro Canada. At least that's what the parts guy at Halton Honda in Burlington, Ontario told me. I noticed they had 5W20, 5W20 synthetic and 0W20 on the shelf. I asked if the 0W20 was synth and all he told me was "it's for the hybrid". So, I asked him who makes the Honda oil and he said "Petro Canada". Now the price is ridiculous $9.80 a litre for the 5W20 synth. I'm sure I could get it at Petro Canada for a lot less.

Quote:

..Petro Canada. At least that's what the parts guy at Halton Honda in Burlington, Ontario told me. I noticed they had 5W20, 5W20 synthetic and 0W20 on the shelf. I asked if the 0W20 was synth and all he told me was "it's for the hybrid". So, I asked him who makes the Honda oil and he said "Petro Canada". Now the price is ridiculous $9.80 a litre for the 5W20 synth. I'm sure I could get it at Petro Canada for a lot less.

Or you could get it cheaper still at Walmart as I suspect Petrocan makes the synthetics Walmart sells. However, unless Petrocan is blending a special grade for Honda, the grades you suggest don't match. The only Xw20 that Petrocan sells is a conventional 5w20. The only suppliers of 0w20 that I know of are Pennzoil and Mobil 1.

By the way I think the 5w20 conventional that Petrocan sells is the best there is on the market for that grade, including synthetics.

As far as I know the Honda Oil sold in canada is made y PetroCanada and the US stuff by Exxon. It is possible that where PetroCanada does not make a specific grade that Honda recommends for a car they source the Exxon product for canada too.

At least this is what I found when i was researching what oil Honda thought my girlfriend's Acura needed.

Petro-Canada has been a blender & packager of Honda motor oils for several years.

All indications are that the 0W-20 grade, for Hybrid use, is a formulation developed by Nippon oil. Nippon does development work for Honda, Toyota, Nissan & Hyundai.

http://www.eneos.us/0w-20.html

In this case, Petro-Canada is simply blending & filling bottles, per the Honda formulation, and it makes no difference whether or not a 0W-20 exists in the line-up of Petro-Canada branded oils.

Nippon Oil is close to or has just completed its own blending facility in the U.S. - Alabama, I believe. It'll supply factory-fill oil to Honda's, Toyota's, and Hyundai's U.S. assembly plants. The company also has plans to introduce "Eneos" brand oils to the U.S. aftermarket as a premium price blend.

You can typically narrow it down to the country by checking the label to see where it is made. It would be interesting to find out if it is in the same type of containers as the TECH 2000 Synthetic at Walmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back