Honda odyssey brake noise

Recently cleaned and lubed slide pins on my 07 odyssey and now have a brake squeal with light pressure. Honda replacement pads about 50% worn but otherwise in good shape same with rotors and no noise before. I since removed the pads, cleaned and relubed the shims/plates etc and still have the same noise. It's better and with slightly more pressure will go away but with initial pedal I still get noise. Its confusing because with 265k I have never had any noise at all out of the brakes new or worn etc until now.

The only thing I changed was removed the rubber bushign from the pins as they were starting to swell and was worried about them sticking. I've done this mulitple times and never gotten any noise except maybe a slight rattle at times but even thats questionable. The front bushings on this one have been removed for 100k miles without issue.

Any thoughts? I thought it might wear back in and quiet down but 3 weeks later its still there. Was trying to avoid throwing pads and turning rotors as I believe the pad material left will outlast my expected use of the van but I may have to end up doing that just to quiet it down.

Last edited:
When it went together the first time yes. After working on pins I just put it back together and got the noise. Took it apart again and relubed the shins with closest thing I had, gray antiseize.. way better but still some noise.

When it went together the first time yes. After working on pins I just put it back together and got the noise. Took it apart again and relubed the shins with closest thing I had, gray antiseize.. way better but still some noise.
I wonder if you need to use the m-77 moly paste then,..

Rotor surface is probably glazed and the pads chamfers are already worn away? Not much can be done, other than a brake job.

I think I would try some new slide pins from Honda with the rubber tips or rings or whatever it has. My understanding is that the purpose of those things is to take up the clearances that can allow chattering vibrations.

Back