Honda must've...,

Status
Not open for further replies.
....clamped down on Amsoil. When the SSO first came out it was recommended for HTO-06 use. Then that rating mysteriously disappeared. Now in checking their current generation of Sinatire Series oils there are still no HTO-06 recommended oils. Amsoil's product selector tool says "No Amsoil Product Recommendation". It also calls out Z1 for transmission, but it doesn't exclude their multi-vehicle ATF from recommendatiOn. Interesting.

^Has nothing to do with Honda or the spec, necessarily. Amsoil has become much more strict in their 'outright' here is what we recommend for this app/engine layout. They have gone more and more to 'only' what factory manuals recommend + any permanent revisions.

Good folks like Pablo should be able to recommend the proper oil from Amsoil for a the HTO-06 spec 'needing' engines.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
^Has nothing to do with Honda or the spec, necessarily. Amsoil has become much more strict in their 'outright' here is what we recommend for this app/engine layout. They have gone more and more to 'only' what factory manuals recommend + any permanent revisions.

Good folks like Pablo should be able to recommend the proper oil from Amsoil for a the HTO-06 spec 'needing' engines.

Wow..I was under the impression that Amsoil testedits oils and then called them API SN, Dexos1 approved etc. Without bothering going through independent testing . So now when they say Dexos approved, which they do, it's an actual approval?

For the record, I swear by some of Amsoil's products. Not picking at them, just want to know where that change came from.

^I think certain things such as API can be verified, as well as Dexos1 approvals. They may/may not be changing that aspect of marketing.

What you were referring to in the OP is a vehicle/manufacturer's spec, a little bit different.

Ok, so Dexos isn't a GM spec then?

Is Dexos a spec GM something adopted from API or some other sanctioning/governing body?

Or are they actually Dexos approved (I think their XL line is actually API tested and approved)?

We had a heated discussion about something similar to this a while back. Not to get anyone twisted, I'll just say Amsoil is playing it safe and smart. JMO

Google is my friend....Dexos is GM exclusively. I'm thinking I wasn't way off in the original post...but maybe there was no outside influence.

With all the MFG specs Amsoil claims to meet...I just found it interesting they chose to remove the HTO-06 spec from their listing. I've no idea whether their products actually can meet that spec, or not. I'd just like to know if Honda was involved in asking them to prove it or did Honda prove that their products cannot meet that specs.

The RDX for which the spec was designed, is a fairly low volume seller. Probably around 100k units in 5 years.
But others including myself, won't buy a non-HTO-06 approved oil for a turbocharged car.

Honda has shown at least part of the test...I think there is a video online that shows a tech performing the test.

Originally Posted By: digitalSniperX1
....clamped down on Amsoil. When the SSO first came out it was recommended for HTO-06 use. Then that rating mysteriously disappeared. Now in checking their current generation of Sinatire Series oils there are still no HTO-06 recommended oils. Amsoil's product selector tool says "No Amsoil Product Recommendation". It also calls out Z1 for transmission, but it doesn't exclude their multi-vehicle ATF from recommendatiOn. Interesting.

No Honda did not "clamp down on Amsoil". SSO was tested to the HTO-06 requirements and passed. Some of the folks here remember that took awhile. I don't think the ASO, ASL, etc have been tested to HTO-06.

In the look up guide Amsoil now only calls out what the latest OEM recommendation is. They were getting totally bogged down by the average consumer (think outside of BITOG for a minute) asking questions about why "non-book" viscosities are recommended, and frankly the consumer would choose the book viscosity 95% of the time. It pretty much happens with every non-BITOG customer of mine.

Wow..I was under the impression that Amsoil testedits oils and then called them API SN, Dexos1 approved etc. Without bothering going through independent testing . So now when they say Dexos approved, which they do, it's an actual approval?

Yes they do test the oil and then have them independently tested. Nothing in this thread says otherwise, in fact to the contrary. There is NO WAY Amsoil will pay Government Motors crazy leech fee for DEXOS.

Wow I did not know Amsoil offical stance on GM was to call them
Government Motors thats pretty low.

Originally Posted By: dave123

That is NOT "Amsoil offical stance" that is my opinion and is well within my rights to write.

"Leech Fee" rings of truth though...my mortgage is underwater...no bailout for me...and that's the gov's responsibility (mortgage being underwater).

GM's demise was largely their own fault.

You should hear what Amsoil calls their oil competitors
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Capa

smile.gif

LOL You should hear what I call Amsoil.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Capa

smile.gif

lol.gif

Seriously I've never once called Amsoil competitors any names, nor have I heard anyone at Amsoil call them anything odd. Someone told me years ago (in 1980 or so) they saw Al in an airport and spoke to him. They said he used the term "Panther priss" - not sure what the conversation was exactly, but this term turned into internet lore.

haha Pablo...about 10 years ago I was out loudly considering Amsoil vs. Mobil 1 in a discussion with an Amsoil dealer. I didn't say anything negative about Amsoil.

He told me I was the reason all other countries in the world hate us...in my support for the US oil cartel. And he didn't say it politely.

I reported him to Amsoil...that dude shouldn't be representing Amsoil in my book.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

No Honda did not "clamp down on Amsoil". SSO was tested to the HTO-06 requirements and passed. Some of the folks here remember that took awhile. I don't think the ASO, ASL, etc have been tested to HTO-06.

In the look up guide Amsoil now only calls out what the latest OEM recommendation is. They were getting totally bogged down by the average consumer (think outside of BITOG for a minute) asking questions about why "non-book" viscosities are recommended, and frankly the consumer would choose the book viscosity 95% of the time. It pretty much happens with every non-BITOG customer of mine.

This is exactly what I was getting at, the whole point.

haha Pablo...about 10 years ago I was out loudly considering Amsoil vs. Mobil 1 in a discussion with an Amsoil dealer. I didn't say anything negative about Amsoil.

He told me I was the reason all other countries in the world hate us...in my support for the US oil cartel. And he didn't say it politely.

I reported him to Amsoil...that dude shouldn't be representing Amsoil in my book.

Why listen to morons, regardless of who they claim to 'represent'? He likely was not 'working' for Amsoil.

Dealer doesn't = Amsoil.

Argue what you want about their own system of getting their oils out there, but the fact is 'AMSOIL' wouldn't use people like Pablo(back when he wasn't around) IF they were in stores everywhere like M1 already. It's their way of getting around, it's all street talk and hog wash jargin from dealers that aren't professionals, going to that level BUT it's EVERYWHERE in EVERY 'large' company. I don't care what anyone says about any product outright, base it on something. I'm not buying 1 person's morals, I'm buying a freakin' product.

That said, there is no reason for me to worry about Amsoil meeting a spec in my car, API-SG here, yo! Oils of today trump that 'spec'. Performance with Amsoil's products are not an issue for most, in fact, it's quite frankly just a pricing/'availability' issue for most, which is all relative. Hence, the dealer system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back