Honda MTF Vs Redline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have a Classic SAAB 900 turbo, they are known for not having the strongest transmissions in the world, and the 2nd gear syncro isn't the best already. The recommended fluid is 10W-30 mineral oil the same as the crankcase. Most race and rally Saabs seem to recommend Redline MT-90 or MTL, but someone suggested the Honda MTF is basically the same thing, so I came here to investigate. I haven’t seen anything directly comparing the two, but I did find a couple of posts where people had sent off virgin samples for analysis. I found one from 2010 from Blackstone for the Honda, and two from 09 from Oil Analyzers inc for the Redline and also Amsol MTF. I created the below chart to compare them.
Oil%2520analysis.png

The thing is I have no idea what they mean. I can see for sure that they are significantly different. The Honda MTF has high Calcium at 3042 ppm relative to the Amsol and Redline both down in the double digits. Also the Redline and Amsol both have approx. 3,500 ppm Magnesium where the Honda has none.

I’m flat out not smart enough to understand what this realistically means to me. Is the Honda any good, or is it you get what you pay for with the Honda being around $6/quart and the others being around $15/ QART?

thanks

The RL and Amsoil look very similar. I'd go with Amsoil MTF or MTG,depending on the viscosity specs of your tranny. I'm not sure if the viscosity of 10W30 motor oil is in line with synchromesh type fluids or 75W90 gear oils.

The Honda is great, but it might be too thin. The other two are right on for viscosity.

Calcium vs Magnesium I'll leave for others to debate though I would consider them interchangeable in MTF which doesn't get as contaminated anyway:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2236976

I might try the Honda since it's a good fluid and cheap, and if in hot weather/high load you have shifting issues change it up.

What about flushing out the old unknown fluid first. Should I add ATF and run it on jack stands then drain? Or what about Marvol Mystery oil?

Thanks all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back