Honda manual transmission fluid change interval

Hello folks.

I’m currently at 28k miles on Amsoil MTF (70k miles total on the clock), and wonder when should I schedule another transmission fluid change. It still shifts nicely, and I know Amsoil recommends 50k miles interval, although wonder what other owners do on theirs manual transmission Hondas.
Thanks y’all

What interval does Honda recommend?

Their recommendation is typically for use with their proprietary manual transmission fluid.

I've heard maybe every 90-105K miles, although I'm not sure how they backdated the recommendations for their transmissions that were spec'ed for motor oil. I always felt rather weird putting 10W-30 motor oil in there, but it was cheap. I ended up using Red Line MTL, which they said was slightly thinner than 10W-30 but well suited for Honda manual transmissions.

71DN2CgliCL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Hello folks.

I’m currently at 28k miles on Amsoil MTF (70k miles total on the clock), and wonder when should I schedule another transmission fluid change. It still shifts nicely, and I know Amsoil recommends 50k miles interval, although wonder what other owners do on theirs manual transmission Hondas.
Thanks y’all
I’m on mobile so don’t see if you have a specific vehicle in your signature. However, for my 2005 CR-V with manual trans they recommend a change every 120,000 miles. I personally would probably do mine every 50,000 miles or so with the Honda fluid but only because it makes me feel warm inside and not because it will blow up at the recommended interval.

Since you changed it once, you got the factory shavings out of your trans, which is more than many other people do. I'd leave what you have in there the full 50k.

I’m on mobile so don’t see if you have a specific vehicle in your signature. However, for my 2005 CR-V with manual trans they recommend a change every 120,000 miles. I personally would probably do mine every 50,000 miles or so with the Honda fluid but only because it makes me feel warm inside and not because it will blow up at the recommended interval.
1.5T 6MT ‘17 Civic. Thanks for sharing your experience

Change it when the minder tells you to, code 3 like already said

Their recommendation is typically for use with their proprietary manual transmission fluid.

I've heard maybe every 90-105K miles, although I'm not sure how they backdated the recommendations for their transmissions that were spec'ed for motor oil. I always felt rather weird putting 10W-30 motor oil in there, but it was cheap. I ended up using Red Line MTL, which they said was slightly thinner than 10W-30 but well suited for Honda manual transmissions.

If you're afraid to use motor oil but don't want to spend the money on Redline, you can use Pennzoil or Valvoline Synchromesh :unsure:

For the old transmissions that call for motor oil, Honda's MTF is backwards-compatible.

Interval is not specified by Honda

Older Hondas had long periods. I remember when Honda MTL was initially used it was 90K miles. I looked at the owners manual for my wife's 2002 Civic (which is an automatic), and it specified 120K miles or 6 years. For "severe service" they specified 60K miles or 3 years, although I'm not sure why. Severe covers so many different conditions and I don't think that all of them will stress out a sealed manual transmission.

Not sure what you mean by that statement?

It is M/T fluid, not ATF. Change it according to the OEM interval or when shifting becomes crappy, whichever comes first.
Nothing in particular. Was just joking. Appreciate the feedback.

On a side note, I was investigating clutch pedal squeak I’ve recently began hearing (clutch pedal fully depressed, slowly letting off - like in stop and go traffic, and it squeaks). No squeaking in normal driving shifting. So I’ve noticed under the hood that rubber cover/boot that goes around the fork (that goes into the slave cylinder) is torn. Have you by chance had to replace those in the past and how critical the integrity of that boot is?

Not sure what you mean by that statement?

It is M/T fluid, not ATF. Change it according to the OEM interval or when shifting becomes crappy, whichever comes first.
Here’s a picture of what I’m referring to in my post above

Attachments

• IMG_2117.jpeg
    IMG_2117.jpeg
    44.5 KB · Views: 13
Mines a 15 Accord- I think it calls for 80k miles, I'm on the third fill. Honda fluid and GM syncromesh didn't work out and I'm on Pentosin that works well but they stopped making it. Redline on the shelf- MT LV I think.

Back