Honda gcv 160 won’t start

one seems a lot easier to pull. (Low compression)?
You should feel a definite once every two turns compression when you pull the starter rope out slowly. If it just spins and spins there is probably a valve not all the way closed.

If you found a valve "loose" (though actually, it was stuck) and adjusted it tighter, you may have made the situation worse and it will never close now. Back way off on the valve adjustment until you can get compression.

I still would drain the gas from the carb and tank than use fresh gas. If you have any water in the carb from ethanol gas sucking it from the air, it can cause a no start issue.

You should feel a definite once every two turns compression when you pull the starter rope out slowly. If it just spins and spins there is probably a valve not all the way closed.

If you found a valve "loose" (though actually, it was stuck) and adjusted it tighter, you may have made the situation worse and it will never close now. Back way off on the valve adjustment until you can get compression.
Both valves are moving freely. But I will double check them and valve clearance tomorrow, and also do a compression test tomorrow. Anyone know what these engines should pull compression wise while they are cold?

Hello everyone, first time poster. I have a Ryobi pressure washer with a Honda GCV 160 engine. The unit is about 4 years old. It has worked flawlessly and never gave any issues. I used it the other day with no troubles. Brought it out yesterday to wash the RZR and won’t start. I have spark at the plug. Yes it has gas in it, I checked the valves for clearance, both needed very little adjustment, and both valves look to be moving freely when cranked.
I can spray starting fluid into the carb and get nothing. Just a backfire every now and then. Unit has oil in it, and gets used on a regular basis. (Gas doesn’t sit long round here)

I have a push mower with the same engine, I have swapped plugs around just to be sure and still nada.

The occasional backfire made me think a stuck valve, but that doesn’t seem to be the issue.
Can anyone think of something I’m missing?
I don’t believe this one has a oil safety switch that I can tell.
Any help is appreciated.
Corn starch in the carb from ethanol gas. Pull the bowl off and look for white gunk.

Both valves are moving freely. But I will double check them and valve clearance tomorrow, and also do a compression test tomorrow. Anyone know what these engines should pull compression wise while they are cold?
Taking that valve cover off is a real bear because it is held on with RTV. Did you get it removed? It sounds like you did. If a valve is stuck open you won’t get any compression at all. How does the valve cover look. If it’s dented, it can hold a valve open. By the way, look closely at the rockers moving. A valve can be stuck and the rocker will still go in and out. It’s usually the intake valve, closest to the carb, that gets stuck in an open position. If so spray it with carb cleaner then pry the valve spring retainer outward and the valve should pop free. Repeat as necessary.

Last edited:
You say you have spark and starting fluid doesn't help. My guess is either low compression from a leaky head gasket or the spark is not occuring at the right time due to a flywheel key issue. Time to take it apart and do some investigating. I have worked on a lot of engines that have sat around a long time and never seen a stuck valve yet. You would hear something not right out of the carb or muffler if one of the valves were stuck open, anything is possible.

STOP..

I had spark at mine, and it was very bright. Replace the plug anyways. Use only NGK.

I bet this will fix your issue.

Back