Honda Fit Tire Options

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend has a 2009 Fit Base. Currently, the car has 60,000 miles. For the last 35k, it has a set of 195/60-15 Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S tires. The Exaltos are nearly worn out, but have delivered excellent wet/dry performance and handling. Ideally, the goals of this next set of tires would be something that would not sacrifice too much in handling, but will deliver longer tread life and better fuel economy.

Since my friend is a bit broke at the moment, and I used her car for a bit during my college days, I offered to pay for 1 or 2 of the tires. Of course, this comes with the benefit of me being able to influence what tires were bought; I would not mind using this opportunity to "test out" tires that I would not otherwise buy.
wink.gif

The car's original tire size is 175/65-15, but this size has very limited choices. That was why the Exaltos were 195/60-15. Upsizing the tires gives more choices, but reduces fuel economy and shops will always mention to you that you have the wrong size tires on.
cool.gif

If I were to stay with 175/65-15, these are my current choices in order of desirability:

1) Yokohama AVID Ascend $110, T-Rated, 85k warranty (TireRack)
2) Yokohama Avid EnVigor $100, H-rated, 60k warranty (TireRack)
3) General Altimax HP, $88, H-Rated, 55k warranty (TireRack)

For 195/60-15, these are my current choices:

1) Continental ProContact EcoPlus+, $72, T-Rated, 80k warranty (special order from DTD)
2) Michelin Primacy MXV4, $108, H-Rated, 60k warranty (DTD)
3) Hankook Optimo H727, $70, T-Rated, 100k warranty (DTD)

Two other thoughts:

1) I will not consider any tires that may be discontinued in the near future, since obtaining a replacement will become an issue. As a result, the Avid TRZ, Michelin Hydroedge, Michelin X-Radial/Harmony are eliminated. The Michelin Defender will not be available in this size until July, which is too far away.

2) Wet traction and dry traction must be acceptable. This rules out some LRR tires such as the Ecopia EP422.

3) Also, I would like something that has reasonably decent handling. After all, the last set were the Exalto A/S. Therefore, I am a bit concerned about some of the handling reports of the Hankook H727, as they have been described to be extremely floaty on the highway.

So, there you have it. Let me know what you guys think. I would like to pull the trigger tomorrow since DTD's $50 instant off promotion ends at that time.

Thanks in advance!

I had those hankooks. They are not floaty and actually quite good. They squeal when pushed but hold. They're good in snow (not a factor for you) and wear like iron.

1. You're a great guy for helping friends out. That's awesome!
2. Trust your gut, and go with either #1 on your list. But price-wise the Continental tire may allow you to help buy 2 depending on your budget.
3. We have a set of Primacy's and love them.

The Yoko AVID Ascends look intriguing. It's a brand-new design that promises good grip and low rolling resistance. I was debating about getting them for our Fit when the Conti DWS's on there wear out in a few years. Care to "volunteer" your friend for being the BITOG guinea pig?

If I were buying for myself, I'd pick the Primacy MXV4s. If I were recommend for someone else, I'd recommend the Continental ProContact EcoPlus.

Critic,
Every tire that you listed is a very good choice. My personal choice is to stay with the ***195's*** in any of the tires mentioned, more so than the brand/model of tire. But, money seems to be a large factor here!

And again, in the "195's", you show to have two tires in the $70/per tire price range(ECO+ & H727). I don't think that the 175's(23.95") will give that much MPG increase, if any compared to the 195's(24.21"). But the ECO+ may have the edge in MPG benifits

the fact that they are 1" skinnier will give some help with rolling resistance..

That being said..195's will handle better and arent a wonky tire size to replace(ie pricier)

The exalto are about the only PILOT series tire thats NOT really high performance. I think the average H-rated tire would be similar..

The hankook 727's are amazing but a step down in "performance"

This being a fit.. I'd go for those or the conti's

be aware that when you replace worn out tires with tires that are at least 1" bigger (worn out old size to fresh 195/60's)

you will see an apparant loss of MPG because of the rotational size being 5% or so off.

it if it drops from 30 to 28.. thats normal esp considering brand new tires have more tread squirm etc which leads to higher rolling resistance than worn out tires.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sciphi
The Yoko AVID Ascends look intriguing. It's a brand-new design that promises good grip and low rolling resistance. I was debating about getting them for our Fit when the Conti DWS's on there wear out in a few years. Care to "volunteer" your friend for being the BITOG guinea pig?

From what I can tell, the new Avid Ascend is basically a longer wearing and more fuel-efficient version of the popular Avid TRZ. Unfortunately it also comes with a 30% price premium. Since its predecessor was just another standard touring tire, I am going to guess that the Ascend will handle just as sloppily as the Optimo H727 and ProContact.

Why not the H-rated Continental ContiProContact in 195/60-15 from TireRack for $82 each (not including shipping)? I assume b/c they list them as closeout? But does that mean Continental are removing these exact tires from production or just TireRack?

Just ordered 4 Yokohama AVID Ascend in the 175/65-15 T-rated version.

$87.50/tire shipped. Tirerack wanted about $110/tire. DTD did not have any in stock so they had to order direct from Yokohama, so it will take two weeks.

So yes sciphi, I took one for the team.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: benjamming
Why not the H-rated Continental ContiProContact in 195/60-15 from TireRack for $82 each (not including shipping)? I assume b/c they list them as closeout? But does that mean Continental are removing these exact tires from production or just TireRack?

Not sure, but considering how long that tire has been on the market, I would not be surprised if it was going away altogether.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

$87.50/tire shipped. Tirerack wanted about $110/tire. DTD did not have any in stock so they had to order direct from Yokohama, so it will take two weeks.

smile.gif

Thanks, Critic! Please let me know what your impressions are. We're not in the market yet with almost-new Conti DWS's in 205/50-16 on our Fit. With gas prices being the way they are, the next set will be the OEM 185/55-16 size, and likely trade a bit of go-kart handling for better fuel economy.

smile.gif

Thanks, Critic! Please let me know what your impressions are. We're not in the market yet with almost-new Conti DWS's in 205/50-16 on our Fit. With gas prices being the way they are, the next set will be the OEM 185/55-16 size, and likely trade a bit of go-kart handling for better fuel economy.

How is your fuel economy? I don't think I've ever seen more than 36the with the current tire setup.

We have achieved 40 mpg on long trips with both sets of tires. Overall, we're still averaging 30-31 mpg with very aggressive driving. That "might" be down from 32-33 with the narrower tires. We don't track fuel economy as closely as we should, since the wife doesn't care as long as it's not costing her an arm and a leg.

I know the OP already purchased tires, and these are not what the OP was looking for. But just in case someone else looks at this thread with different requirements....

My son owns the 2011 Fit in my signature (base with 5MT). He installed General G-Max AS-03s in 205/50-ZR16 on a new set of rims with 35 offset. They completely transformed the car - it really does handle like a go-kart now. First time I drove it with the new tires, the car turned in so fast it was almost scarey.

Fuel economy was 38 MPG with the stock tires and warm weather, dropped to 34 MPG in the cold weather with winter tires, and is running about 35 MPG now on the new tires. Cold weather is just about over, so he might see some improvement. But 35 MPG is pretty good.

The stock 15 inch Dunlops were absolute garbage, it felt like the tires were folding over in corners. And they were scary on wet roads. But they did give good fuel economy, which might be more important than safety for some people.

Last edited:
We have achieved 40 mpg on long trips with both sets of tires. Overall, we're still averaging 30-31 mpg with very aggressive driving. That "might" be down from 32-33 with the narrower tires. We don't track fuel economy as closely as we should, since the wife doesn't care as long as it's not costing her an arm and a leg.

Interesting, thanks.

Perhaps these might be a good choice for your Cruze Eco, since they also offer the 215/55-17 in the proper V-rating. At $160/tire, it is priced competitively and should offer a good value with the 75k mileage warranty.

Hmm, if they're quieter than the OEM Goodyears, I'd consider them. I got spoiled by my Nokian snows! Those weren't quiet for snow tires, they were quieter than most all-seasons on dry pavement.

Hmm, if they're quieter than the OEM Goodyears, I'd consider them. I got spoiled by my Nokian snows! Those weren't quiet for snow tires, they were quieter than most all-seasons on dry pavement.

Luckily this is one of the few Yokohama tires that are not directional, so there is a chance that they will be quiet.

Perhaps these might be a good choice for your Cruze Eco, since they also offer the 215/55-17 in the proper V-rating. At $160/tire, it is priced competitively and should offer a good value with the 75k mileage warranty.

Correction: V-rated sizes have a 65k warranty. Still a long time, compared to most V-rated tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back