Honda Factory Fill UOAs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

The easiest way to tell would be to test multiple brands of 5w-30 mineral oil after 2k miles, and compare their viscosities to your factory fill.

Why FIT? You can pick-up a Civic LX for $1000 more and have better fuel economy. It's amazing that the Civic actually obtains better fuel economy than the FIT.

Well, eventually I guess one would figure it out with 2K oil runs.

I first suggested the LX. No way. The son doesn't want a car like his Dad's. PLUS...he actually likes the Fit. The cargo area, auto with shift paddles, sound system, made in Japan(?), can get bronze/orange, he says it has better vision all around then my Si, easy to drive in traffic and so on. He's practical.

Quote:

I only have the owner's manual to back me up. Unfortunately, I don't have copies of the manuals for the TSX, Si, or TL, but Amsoil's reference guide will verify the recommended grades for those listed vehicles.

That is what the manufacturer recommends the owner should use. It doesn't automatically imply that the manufacturer uses it as the factory fill.

Quote:

Quote:

After a good night's sleep, I'm not comfortable with the explination that these Si*s and the TSX sheared down their 5W30s. (Maybe some TSX UOAs might have some clues).

The high-revving TSX 2.4 shears oil, badly.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/s...true#Post234560
http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/s...true#Post255601
http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/s...true#Post242862

About a year ago, I did a random sampling of 30 5w30 dino UOAs. IIRC, about 90% of them sheared down to a SAE 20 viscosity between 1,000 to 3,000 miles. This was, obviously, with all different kinds of engines.

Has he driven it before? It's a dog with the AC on, from what I've been told. He must be skinny (kudos to him), as I can barely fit in the Civic, let alone the FIT.

Quote:

Quote:

I only have the owner's manual to back me up. Unfortunately, I don't have copies of the manuals for the TSX, Si, or TL, but Amsoil's reference guide will verify the recommended grades for those listed vehicles.

That is what the manufacturer recommends the owner should use. It doesn't automatically imply that the manufacturer uses it as the factory fill.

True, but I don't see why they would factory fill with anything different. After all, must they do their EPA fuel economy testing with the recommended grade of oil?

Quote:

Has he driven it before? It's a dog with the AC on, from what I've been told. He must be skinny (kudos to him), as I can barely fit in the Civic, let alone the FIT.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Yes, he is tall and thin. He didn't like the 109 HP printed in the literature even though he thought it was plenty zippy for him when he test drove it. 9.0 seconds 0-60 isn't too bad for what it is. Maybe driving the LX would change his mind. He has driven my Si and I know he likes that, but the insurance is way too much for him.

0-60 in 9 seconds sound optimistic for the FIT Auto. What's the 0-60 for the Civic Auto?

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

True, but I don't see why they would factory fill with anything different. After all, must they do their EPA fuel economy testing with the recommended grade of oil?

Yes, but that still doesn't "PROVE" anything. As long as they complete the testing with whatever they put in the manual and on the fill-cap, the EPA isn't going to object to them delivering cars with oil that has the potential to get even better fuel economy.

Now I have to admit, I believe they probably do put 5w30 in at the factory and it just shears down in short order. I've seen that with so many 5w30s it's almost a given for me. Hmmm...it could even be the case the assmebly lube doesn't something wierd to the viscosity, but that's probably grasping at straws.

What we need to do is find someone who's about to buy a new Honda and have them immediately take an oil sample after their purchase. I wonder if there's one in the VOA/UOA sections. Anyone look?

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

hummm...it could even be the case the assmebly lube doesn't something wierd to the viscosity, but that's probably grasping at straws.

What we need to do is find someone who's about to buy a new Honda and have them immediately take an oil sample after their purchase. I wonder if there's one in the VOA/UOA sections. Anyone look?

427Z06,
I couldn't find any. The 466 mile sample was as close as I could find, but it was from a TL, 5W/20. It has to be from a 5W/30 vehicle like the Si, S2000, TSX or what else? The oil's rapid shear down seems like a more reasonable explination the more I think about it.
(I like the "Mo-mix-vis-dis" conjecture.
stirthepot.gif
...kind of adds another thought to the mythology.
smile.gif
laugh.gif
)

Quote:

0-60 in 9 seconds sound optimistic for the FIT Auto. What's the 0-60 for the Civic Auto?

Yes. That's correct. 5 speed manual sport reviews range from 9.3 sec 0-60 mph to 8.7. That's the figure that stuck in my mind. The 9.3 pops up the most. I haven't seen an auto report, but at least a 1 second slower speed would seem a reasonable guess to me.

The car had nice acceleration in the 20-40 mph range where a lot of urban driving takes place and it will get better city mpg than the civic, which would win out for a highway car at 40 mpg with a ride better too.

WAY
offtopic.gif
!!!.... What the heck, I started this thread....
I like the Yaris too. The Yaris has better mpg's...but our local dealership....well, I caught a mechanic charging me for work and parts he really didn't do or use ...settled with the dealership before it got ugly in court. He hosed me on five occassions I estimate over a 12 month period about $2,800 total. I could only prove the last one, dead solid perfect proof
thumbsup.gif
he (they?) were crooked. A real nightmare for them in the end and probably more the mechanic's than the dealership's dishonesty. I really don't care at this point. Sold my Toyota 4X4 then too. Who knows what else was "rigged" or not repaired correctly and likely to fail sooner or later. Needless to say, I won't buy any new Toyota in this town.

Quote:

2002 Accord V6 factory fill 5W20 6,800 miles was done by OAI in Dec-2002. Boron is really low after 6800 miles.

Missed that one when I was looking for UOAs.

Somewhere around 08/05-11/05 the boron level changes from the 30ish range to the 200+- numbers in Honda FF. Change in formula I guess. Anyone think Honda might be using a synthetic blend here? These boron levels are Mobil 1 like...(I keep bringing this boron thing up.) A formula indicator? An add-pack figure? Havoline doesn't have this kind of boron formulation. Just the Mo.

Your boron looked pretty used up alright. The Ca, P and Zn levels were pretty high back then though. The Mo is pretty high to at 382! I too have a V6 Accord with high copper ppm's...it's like the A-Bomb in the Cold War era.
hide.gif
One eventually gets used to living with it.

Quote:

The easiest way to tell would be to test multiple brands of 5w-30 mineral oil after 2k miles, and compare their viscosities to your factory fill.

Why FIT? You can pick-up a Civic LX for $1000 more and have better fuel economy. It's amazing that the Civic actually obtains better fuel economy than the FIT.

The Fit has way more room, is easier to get in/out of, and has a lot of really nice features. I also get better fuel mileage in my Fit than a local friend with an LX. I get 35 around town, he gets 33, and we match at 37 on the highway. The Fit is in a different league than the Yaris, anyhow.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

hummm...it could even be the case the assmebly lube doesn't something wierd to the viscosity, but that's probably grasping at straws.

427Z06,
I couldn't find any. The 466 mile sample was as close as I could find, but it was from a TL, 5W/20. It has to be from a 5W/30 vehicle like the Si, S2000, TSX or what else? The oil's rapid shear down seems like a more reasonable explination the more I think about it.
(I like the "Mo-mix-vis-dis" conjecture.
stirthepot.gif
...kind of adds another thought to the mythology.
smile.gif
laugh.gif
)

Yep. My bad. I was engagesd in another conversation when I typed that.

So....we know anybody that's about to buy a Honda/Acura that specs 5/10w30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back