Honda DW-1 Not Synthetic..

Originally Posted by David1
.............I have heard for years people who have told me to try REDLINE D4 and now D6 is better and I would notice a huge difference in performance..... Well Im going to try it... I ordered 9 Quarts of it.....

If your vehicle calls for the higher viscosity of D4 (ie >7.0 cSt at 100 deg C) vs the lighter D6 (<6 cSt), then I'd stay with the D4.

Originally Posted by 69GTX
.............I have heard for years people who have told me to try REDLINE D4 and now D6 is better and I would notice a huge difference in performance..... Well Im going to try it... I ordered 9 Quarts of it.....

If your vehicle calls for the higher viscosity of D4 (ie >7.0 cSt at 100 deg C) vs the lighter D6 (

It would be a big drag on the drivetrain to go from DW-1 to Redline D4. Redline D6 would not cause as much, if any.

It's common knowledge that the product in Canada is in fact fully synthetic while the US product is dino based.

At one time when DW-1 first came out it may have been fully synthetic and then to reduce cost changed the base in the USA.

Have owned 2 CRVs over the years, a 2002 and a 2007.. no longer have them, but I always used the Z1 until that was replaced by the DW1. Usually about $7-$8 from local Lincoln Honda dealer ,I figured at that price, it was synthetic. Anyway that's what Honda OM called for, so that's what I put in, and never any issues with transmissions as far as I could tell, and I did the "drain & Fills at about the 60K mark. Whether it was syn or conventional didnt seem to matter, never any tranny issues with either one. Traded in the 07 and hit a deer with the 2002 and totaled it before I ever had to change out trans fluid again on either.

Ahhh okay.. I always figured it was full syn.. and it looks like many other people did too.. Im not saying its bad.. Its good for HONDA / Acura transmissions.....

Originally Posted by simple_gifts

What in the world? My DW-1 bottles say nothing about being synthetic????

Gebo's head must be ready to explode; he bought it from the dealer and apparently doesn't really know "what" he's getting.... lol j/k

D6 is very affordable from Summit in gallon jugs.

I got it at work for 28$ for a Gallon....

Thats b/c I used a speed perks..
smile.gif

I went to redline site and it says D4 is ATF Z1 and D6 is ATF DW1 .. However Redline is fully synthetic and blended with ester base stocks for shear stability

Originally Posted by RevelationLion

Also Im shocked even IDIEMUTSU H PLUS is conventional..... Im totally shocked... I always was told and truly believed DW-1 was synthetic..... Perhaps I made myself believe it i dunno.... However I'm convinced its conventional not

Yes, I saw some reviews on Amazon stating that Idemitsu H Plus was synthetic, but if it was I'm sure it would be marketed as synthetic.

Ture on Amazon it says IDEMITSU H Plus and it lists fully synthetic.. However they can be talking about the additives...

Also Im not saying IDEMITUS or Honda DW1 are bad... I know they work very well... My problem is I and many people thought it was 100% FULL SYN ATF and its clearly not.

I'm itching to pull the trigger on ordering the IDEMITSU H Plus for a Honda I occasionally work on. The transmission doesnt slip or make noise but is a little jerky. Its always had DW1 used since new and the fluid is a little dark but not bad.

question, so will the redline D6 work on a 2017 honda pilot. i just bought the car with 69k miles. record says trans fluid was replaced at 30k per 30k mile service. i cannot find Honda DW-1 fluid anywhere for anything less than $60 with shipping. i rather use redline fluid. ive used redline in multiple previous cars. will the redline be ok to use?

question, so will the redline D6 work on a 2017 honda pilot. i just bought the car with 69k miles. record says trans fluid was replaced at 30k per 30k mile service. i cannot find Honda DW-1 fluid anywhere for anything less than $60 with shipping. i rather use redline fluid. ive used redline in multiple previous cars. will the redline be ok to use?
the consensus is Valvoline Maxlife ATF is the best replacement for DW1

"best" ? Who determined that ? It seems to be a safe and reasonable replacement as does Idemitsu, Amsoil, and a few others.

"best" ? Who determined that ? It seems to be a safe and reasonable replacement as does Idemitsu, Amsoil, and a few others.
this is BITOG. reasonable or safe has no place here, only the best. the best, or nothing

Back