Honda Dual Pump Fluid equivalent

Status
Not open for further replies.
An (84 year old) employee just traded his old Mitsubishi Montero for a 2005 Honda CRV.

We drained the 20W-50 from the engine and are trying 5W-30 for now.

The transmission barely shifted, so we are changing the 80W-90 GL-5 to a 5W-30 CI-4 (closest thing in Bolivia to a MTF). We've already saved many GM and Honda transmissions with this solution.

The Rear Differential sounds terrible, and has 80W-90 GL-5 in it instead of Dual Pump Fluid (which is not available here). For the moment, as a rinse, we are putting in Dexron, as it has got to be better than GL-5. I know in the early days of CRV's it was an acceptable temporary substitute, but understand that as of 2005 or so Honda added cogs or something that act like a limited slip.

I'm looking for suggestions as to what to replace the Dual Pump Fluid with. Please don't bother to say order from the dealer or by internet, as the dealer does not carry it (they put 15W-40 in the engines and won't listen to reason), and it is not allowed into the country without prior registration, which is a 4 month $200+ process, and there are really very few Hondas in the market.

Dexron?
Dexron with LSD?
Universal Synthetic ATF that meets the Honda transmission spec?

If you can get the Honda spec transmission fluid (Z1 or DW-1) or its equivalent, I'd use that. You are correct; Honda originally said that Z1 was an acceptable temporary alternative. But if the Dual Pump Fluid is simply not available, I think Honda's ATF would be my best choice.

I would ask Corp Honda as that is one of the few fluids I have not found a replacement for. Trust me I looked and it seems to be a very specific and limited use fluid.

No, there are no importers of Penrite, so that is just as out of the question as real Honda fluid.

If Honda had enough market share, or gave me their oil business, I'd register the fluid or copy it and register the copy. That is what I do for Jeep, MB, Nissan, Mitsubishi.

I do have a Synthetic ATF that meets the Honda ATF spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back