Honda CVT Fluid vs Redline CVT Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would recommend a full fluid change which whichever fluid you choose.

I've not seen any UOAs posted here with either Honda CVT or RL CVT.

Fred Bear, this stuff is seriously new. I wouldn't expect any UOAs or other feedback for another year or more ... unless someone can just tell you about the effect on shift quality.

I had never seen or heard of this stuff until I clicked on the link you provided. Actually, I was thinking you were mistaken when I saw the thread title.

:)

It's my Mothers car, she had some issues with slipping. It's a 2003 Civic. The recommended product is ATF_Z1. (Honda did not sell a CVT fluid in 2003) When Honda fixed her CVT, they refilled with the Honda CVT fluid. I do not know the specific reason for the switch. I do know her transmission has been flawless since the repair.
I'm leaning towards Whitewolf's advice. Go with what ya know. I cant afford to mess up Mom's car!! (But I really like Redline's other products!)

Originally Posted By: Fred Bear
It's my Mothers car, she had some issues with slipping. It's a 2003 Civic. The recommended product is ATF_Z1. (Honda did not sell a CVT fluid in 2003) When Honda fixed her CVT, they refilled with the Honda CVT fluid. I do not know the specific reason for the switch. I do know her transmission has been flawless since the repair.
I'm leaning towards Whitewolf's advice. Go with what ya know. I cant afford to mess up Mom's car!! (But I really like Redline's other products!)

They switched to the CVT specific fluid because they were having problems with the ATF-Z1 in the CVTs. They had a lot of problems with wear and shudder complaints.

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
What do you mean by slipping. Clutch or belt?

It was the clutch and It shuddered ALOT. (When I drove it)

CVT specific fluid has some sort of crystalline molecule structures that help biting into metals under pressure (i.e with the belt and pulley system). Typical ATF has friction modifier that control the slip, does exactly the opposite of what CVT wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back