Honda Coolant Flush

Status
Not open for further replies.
You gotta love Honda when you can drain the radiator and the block and get all the coolant out without any PITA flushing. In addition, the overfill tank just slides right off without any fuss. The car is a 94 Civic with the 1.5L. I filled the system with distilled water, got it good and hot, and drained that. A little over a gallon of G-05 later I was done. Very easy.

I agree. My wife's 99 is just as easy. I flush it anyway, just to be 100% sure that all the old junk is out of there, especially after I've used a cleaner, but maintenance on that car is easy for the most part.

Now if they'd just put the oil filter in a decent location.
mad.gif
Honestly, the person who decided they should go on the back of the block was either A) stupid or B) a sadist. Can you tell I just did a change on the wife's car?

I still feel better when I flush the system after draining. A little turbulent action is good to lift up and carry away any loose debris that may have collected inside the system.

Yeah, the coolant changes are pretty easy on the Hondas. I end up doing one every two years or so on our vehicles. I do what Steve does, drain, fill with distilled, run up to temp, drain that and then fill with a mix...I'm also using the Zerex Extreme life coolant.

Oil filter location? No biggie IMO. I always put the vehicle on stands anyway, so working underneath it is a breeze. This also affords me the opportunity to check for other leaks or anything that looks out of whack while the oil is draining.

Bogatyr

I reused it. I had it just hand tight while I was doing the distilled water cycle and it didn't leak at all, so I figured with proper torqueing it would be sufficient. I'll keep an eye on it though. If it does leak I'd put a little water pump sealant on it before I bought a new plug.

quote:

Originally posted by Steve_RI:
You gotta love Honda when you can drain the radiator and the block and get all the coolant out without any PITA flushing.

wow even out of the heater core and the coiled up heater hose lines and everything eh? They must be straight heater hoses that angle downward. That is some ingenius, gravity inspired engineering and hose routing!

On my car, the water pump is the lowest point in the blocks water jackets and the lower rad hose angles downward from there, making the lower rad tank the lowest point in the cooling system. I stil gotta flush the stuff out of the heater core hoses; or bend them upward a bit
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back