Honda Civic R18Z engine dirt/sludge noticed

Hi,

I'm not a professional mechanic and have no idea what is normal inside the engine and what is not. I checked recently what is inside the valve cover of my Civic simply looking through the oil fill hole and noticed some dirt/sludge on the rocker arm/spring/what is it called?

Do you guys think it is normal or are there some issues with the oil? I'm doing roughly 4K miles OCI. There was Mobil 1 0w30 ESP LV and then Castrol 0w30 A3/B4 European oil. The car is ~20K miles.

Thanks!

Attachments

• oil2.jpg
    oil2.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 165
  • oil.jpg
    oil.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 165
Thanks to everybody for the replies!

I googled a bit and seems that this R18Z4 engine disables 4 intake valves on low RPMs. I wonder if it can be the case. The disabled valve is not moving thus oil stays there and burns cuz metal is hot? Hope it is not a super silly idea. 😅

Thanks to everybody for the replies!

I googled a bit and seems that this R18Z4 engine disables 4 intake valves on low RPMs. I wonder if it can be the case. The disabled valve is not moving thus oil stays there and burns cuz metal is hot? Hope it is not a super silly idea. 😅
With VTEC-E all the intake valves open at low RPM, 4 operate as normal and the other four just barely open. Nothing will pool on them.

People on here often post extremely clean under-valve-cover pics. These pictures are posted because they are exceptional.

Things don't look too bad from what I can see in the pics.

Back