Honda, Acura, Saturn Vue 3.5L crankshaft pulley bolt tightening

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finishing up a timing belt job on my Saturn. Reading the instructions in the Aisin kit which also covers Hondas and Acuras. For the Vue it says to tighten the bolt to 181 ft. lbs., same as for the Acuras. But for the Hondas, it says 47 ft. lbs. plus 60 degrees. Why the difference when the basic engines are identical (I thought)? And the latter would be simpler I think. 47 ft. lbs with a torque wrench, then 60 degrees with an impact wrench would be easier than taking it all the way to 181 ft. lbs. with the torque wrench when the vehicle is on jack stands and you can't get much leverage lying on your back under the car.

I did the timing belt job on my Ridgeline a few years ago (3.5L). Took 3 elephants standing on a 4' long piece of 1-1/4" pipe on 1/2" breaker bar to break it loose.

I just tightened it back up with a cheap 1/2" impact gun, then stood on the 1/2" breaker bar to make sure.

It was fine. Ran another 100k miles before I sold it.

Removing it was nothing, zipped it off in 2 seconds with an impact wrench. Putting it back is the hard part. Did ya at least put some Loctite on it?

A crankshaft pulley bolt would be the last place I would put Loctite.

As for proper tightening, what does the Saturn FSM say?

Why not Loctite on a crankshaft pulley bolt? And like I said, Saturn and Acura are 181 ft. lbs., but for the Hondas, it says 47 ft. lbs. plus 60 degrees. I want to know why when it's the same engine.

Loctite would make the pulley bolt even more difficult to remove than it usually is, besides does the FSM tell you to use Loctite on it?

And you said the instructions were from the Aisin kit, I was asking what the Saturn FSM specifies.

I don't care how difficult it is to remove, I just want it to stay on. I use the blue so it wouldn't be much more difficult. Instead of 2 seconds it may take 3. I don't think Aisin would make this stuff up, they would get the specs from the OEM.

Okay if you say so. Don't get me wrong, I've used lots of Aisin parts before but when it comes to installation instructions I don't think I've ever followed the sheet in the box, only what the manufacturer FSM said.

Honda used to spec 181 but a torque spec is too unreliable depending on friction. Are the threads clean, did you lube the washer per FSM, etc? The angle spec is more precise, stretching the bolt just the right amount independent of friction.

Absolutely no need to add a thread locker. If you zipped off the old bolt as easily as you say, it either was not properly torqued or you have one monster impact gun. Were you using a high mass socket?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back