Honda / Acura HTO-06, Mobil 1 10W30 okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any issue running Mobil 1 10W30 (not HTO-06 certified) instead of Mobil 1 5W30 (HTO-06 certified)?

I bought a bunch of 10W30 on sale and want to use it in my wife's 08 RDX turbo. The car is past the warranty, and I know these 2 oils are virtually identical in every way.

(I'm running it regardless, just curious what everyone else thinks.)

Originally Posted By: Mau
I don't see any problems other then cold start wear (I doubt it's measurable). The cold should be behind us now!

It never got here this year!
48.gif

Call Mobil's tech line. 1-800-Ask Mobil. They know more about their formulations than we do. My guess, it's OK.

Originally Posted By: D189379
Any issue running Mobil 1 10W30 (not HTO-06 certified) instead of Mobil 1 5W30 (HTO-06 certified)?

I bought a bunch of 10W30 on sale and want to use it in my wife's 08 RDX turbo. The car is past the warranty, and I know these 2 oils are virtually identical in every way.

(I'm running it regardless, just curious what everyone else thinks.)

Well their anything but identical; very different formulations.
The 5W-30 has a higher HTHSV of 3.1cP (may be the reason it meets the HTO-06 spec') and a much higher 172 VI vs only 146 for the 10W-30.

If you can I'd return 10W-30 for credit or exchange for the superior M1 5W-30.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Call Mobil's tech line. 1-800-Ask Mobil. They know more about their formulations than we do. My guess, it's OK.

I sent them an email and they basically told me that their 0W30, 5W30, and 10W30 "are interchangeable and will not cause issue". I guess that answers that.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

If you can I'd return 10W-30 for credit or exchange for the superior M1 5W-30.

I would, but it was a sale and another bitoger already took all the 5W30.
mad.gif

The spec is only for high temperature deposits. I think it's very likely Mobil 1 10-30 meets the deposit spec, but doesn't list the certification on the label since it isn't a recommended weight from Honda. Why would they? If delvac met the spec would they list it there?

I'd run it.

BTW, was this the GF-5 or older GF-4 version of this oil?
I actually prefer the GF-4 oil as it had a higher HTHSV of 3.14cP.

In any event if you're stuck with this oil and it is GF-5 I still wouldn't worry about it unless you're planning on towing a heavy trailer in the summer.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
XOM just payed for the cert. for their 5w30. Their 10w30 should be just fine. I wouldn't even think twice about it.

There's good news and bad news. The good news is that the 10-30 may be fine. The bad news for chubbs 1 is that there is way more to it than just buying a certification. XM worked with Honda in developing the HTO-06 cert. for Honda's turbo high temp, low deposite spec. The HTO-06 spec is not an easy spec to meet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back