Honda 4cyl Engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading up on the Honda 2.4L (TSX specifically) Some interesting things I found out about it.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2004/04/01/2004-acura-tsx-a-smooth-operator

Quote:
Designed by Sakuji Arai, known inside Honda as the father of the four-cylinder, the TSX's 2.4-liter DOHC i-VTEC has a balance shaft that revs upward of 14,000 rpm. Think that's outrageous? Arai's goal is to hit 18,000, which is F1 territory. But as it stands, the TSX engine revs high enough. Peak power comes on at 200 hp @ 6,800, torque at 166 lb-ft @ 4,500. And that's more than enough to compete with the BMW in its class, the 325i.

Piston Speed Highest to Lowest:

Quote:
1. Honda S2000:
Engine Code: F20C1
Bore/Stroke: 3.43" X 3.31"
Redline: 9000rpm
Piston Speed: 4965 Ft/min

2. Lamborghini Gallardo
Engine Code: N/A
Bore/Stroke: 3.25" X 3.65"
Redline: 8000rpm
Piston Speed: 4866.67 Ft/min

3. Acura Integra Type R
Engine Code: B18C5
Bore/Stroke: 3.19" X 3.43"
Redline: 8400rpm
Piston Speed: 4802 Ft/min

4. BMW M3 (Germany)
Engine Code: S54
Bore/Stroke: 3.43" X 3.58"
Piston Speed: 4773.33 Ft/min

5. Honda S2000 2004
Engine Code: F22C
Bore/Stroke: 3.43" X 3.57"
Piston Speed: 4760 Ft/min

6. Honda Integra Type R (JDM)
Engine Code: K20A
Bore/Stroke: 3.39" X 3.39"
Redline: 8400rpm
Piston Speed: 4746 Ft/min

7. Acura Integra GSR 2001
Engine Code: B18C
Bore/Stroke: 3.19" X 3.43"
Redline: 8200rpm
Piston Speed: 4687.67 Ft/min

8. Saleen S7
Engine Code: N/A
Bore/Stroke: 4.13" X 4.00"
Redline: 7000rpm
Piston Speed: 4666.67 Ft/min

9. Acura TSX
Engine Code: K24A2
Bore/Stroke: 3.43" X 3.90"
Redline: 7100rpm
Piston Speed: 4615 Ft/min

10. Suzuki Hayabusa Sport Prototype
Engine Code: W701
Bore/Stroke: 3.19" X 2.48"
Redline: 11000rpm
Piston Speed: 4546.67 Ft/min

I have to say, I've been extremely impressed with Japanese 4 cyl engines. The Toyota 1.8l, Mazda 2.3l and Honda 2.4l are all outstanding engines. I can't think of better power/reliability than these 3 4 cyl's.

Quote:
"Sakuji Arai, the chief engineer behind the new TSX engine, tells me that it is his favorite powerplant to date. This from the man behind the civic type R's K20C and the S2000's spectacular F20C"

" For 32 years, Sakuji Arai has worked on nothing but honda four cylinder engines. He has built legends like the B16B, B18C5, and the F20C, which many consider the best 4 cylinder ever invented"

"Out of all the great four cylinder engines in Arai's past, the TSX is his favorite. He's very proud of the new I-Vtec dual exhaust setup, the increased compression ratio, the use of high tensile steel in the connecting rod bolts, the new second burn system, and the new drive by wire throttle system."...........

..."But as we dig deeper into the endine, it comes out that Arai seems to be even more proud of 2 more micro developments"
"I wanted the challenge of designing a near formula one engine" Arai says. "Piston speed in the TSX engine is 24m/s. Normally, piston speed is 22m/s. Adding 2 m/s is very difficult".
"Another challenge was the second balance shaft. This is a high speed engine, the second balancer has 14,200 rpm. Our goal one day is to reach formula one levels, around 18,000 rpm. I'm very exited about this- my heartbeat is strong. We cant do it right now, but maybe in the future"

The Honda I-4 engines are eager to rev to 6-7k RPM. On highway when traffic opened up, I just shifted down to 4 and smash the gas pedal the S2000 just rocket from 50-55 MPH to 90+ MPH in no time and the engine didn't complain at all. Or from stop it rev to fuel cup off at around 8200-8300 RPM(I usually shifted at 7600-7800 RPM) eagerly in 1st and 2rd gear.

Honda engines (one with high piston speed) stand out of all others is it only needs conventional API certified oil, nothing special not even synthetic is required.

And fun to beat on..
wink.gif

Quickly becoming one of my fave 4 bangers...

I just beat the [censored] out of mine today to rush home to help save my dog that was having a seizure.

Engine did not complain one bit but my dog was not happy.

Glad your dog is OK........ I guess your dog was mad at you for flogging the engine......
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: dan_erickson
I just beat the [censored] out of mine today to rush home to help save my dog that was having a seizure.

Engine did not complain one bit but my dog was not happy.

i have 2 honda 4 cylinder engines...k24a2 and b18b1

Honda makes the best 4 cylinder engines, hands down. k24a2(high compression) is really smooth, fuel efficient and powerful. It has a lot of potential straight from the factory.

b18b1...love this engine. It has it's raw feeling, quick and extremely fuel efficient. 38-40mpg on highway driving.

Both these engines are tanks and won't complain when you beat on it...

Last edited:
I too have always loved Honda 4 cyl engines! Like them more than than their V6's.

NO, not that the 4's have the power/torque of the 6, it's just that the 4's are so good that, I have never felt the need for a 6 in their cars.

Yes, I do like their V6's also and do feel the need for something more than a 4 in their MV's and CUV's as they too are smooth.

Our L15A7 in the Fit loves to rev and goes a long time on an oil change. It is a bit gutless, thirsty, and coarse. The thirsty part has more to do with the driver than the engine, though. Still, stomping on it at 60 mph makes more noise than forward motion. Once it gets up to 80 mph in its sweet time, it'll keep the car there until its 27 mpg at that speed drains the 10 gallon tank. Although I prefer traveling at 65 mph since it gets much better fuel mileage at 38-40 mpg, and the engine is finally quiet enough to hold a conversation over.

I've recently purchased a 2000 Civic HX (1.6L w/ lean-burn VTEC-E and mtx trans). Prices are finally cheap on these older gas sippers now. Still haven't burned through a full tank, but I'm hoping for 40+ mpg.

One benefit I didn't plan on - after driving this around, it makes my 2.2L Ecotec Saturn Vue feel 'torque-y'! No power below 3k, which I've always experienced with small 4cyls, but this even more so. I bought it for its economy, so I'm not complaining. Just makes me laugh when I think of all the ricers that think they're driving around sports cars, though.

Originally Posted By: garlicbreadman
Honda makes the best 4 cylinder engines, hands down.

While I mostly agree, I still think Toyota and Nissan have some excellent ones.

Toyota 22R and 1ZZ
And Nissan KA24 (ultra reliable) and SR20 (SR20 is godlike, lets be honest, and has been around a very long time)

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I don't understand what's so special about Honda engines?

Nothing - they are overrated just like their cars.
I could list a few domestic 4 bangers that are just as reliable and can easily make it to 200k.

Originally Posted By: itguy08

I could list a few domestic 4 bangers that are just as reliable and can easily make it to 200k.

They are not overrated, they really do make an excellent 4 cyl engine. They are not only reliable, but they are fun to drive and love to rev. Until you've driven something with proper VTEC you probably would not understand. 9000 RPM on the S2000 is amazing. Truly awesome.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
The Honda I-4 engines are eager to rev to 6-7k RPM. On highway when traffic opened up, I just shifted down to 4 and smash the gas pedal the S2000 just rocket from 50-55 MPH to 90+ MPH in no time and the engine didn't complain at all. Or from stop it rev to fuel cup off at around 8200-8300 RPM(I usually shifted at 7600-7800 RPM) eagerly in 1st and 2rd gear.

Honda engines (one with high piston speed) stand out of all others is it only needs conventional API certified oil, nothing special not even synthetic is required.

Just like my 2zz-ge. Cruise at 55mph in 6th, drop to 3rd to land right at 6200 to engage the bigger cam through 8250 rpm redline. By the time I reach the end of 4th, i'm going well over 110. Fun.

I'd like to know if there is a domestic NA equivalent?

my toro grass chopper 5.5hp honda makes short work of my Bermuda tiff

Last edited:

You have to be kidding? Japan has destroyed the domestics over the last 30 years when it comes to 4cyl engines. It's only been until recently that the domestics have made some good 4cyl engines.

Originally Posted By: buster

You have to be kidding? Japan has destroyed the domestics over the last 30 years when it comes to 4cyl engines. It's only been until recently that the domestics have made some good 4cyl engines.

No they didn't. Domestics chose a totally different approach to the small segment in NA. They dominated V6 and V8 segment and through their ignorance and lack of vision, chose to basically ignore small cars. So not only their small engines sucked, their small cars sucked. Japanese didn't dominate the small car segment because Domestics couldn't build a proper I4 engine, they dominated because they had the segment basically handed to them on a silver platter.
Now, move to Europe and the same "domestics", minus Chrysler of course, have had a very good and extremely well built selection of I4 engines. Sure they don't have small I4's screaming to 9k RPM, but that's because those engines are pretty painful to operate in everyday driving. So, instead, they build nice V8's that will eat any, 9k RPM screaming, I4 for breakfast and be easy to drive in everyday commute.

Now, compare the bread and butter Honda I4's that are available in all sorts of econoboxes, to Ecotecs, MZR's and Toyota engines and there is basically no difference between them. So while Honda can surely build a nice I4 for some specific applications, painting all their I4 engine with the same brush is just silly.

My experience with domestic 4 cylinders is all are course

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back