Honda 3.5L V6 oil filter

I just burned through my stash of the Filtech 15400-PLM-A01. When bought in bulk, they were about $6 each.

I can't find those any more, but I see:

15400-PLM-A02 and
15400-PLM-A02PE

Can anyone guide me on the way to go these days? Which filter number and which manufacturer? It used to be that 15400-PLM-A01 from Fram were considered inferiuor to 15400-PLM-A01 from Filtech.

My vehicle is a 2007 Honda Pilot EX 4WD (not a VCM engine). I now use 0w20 mobil 1 high mileage.

thx

I run anything on my `06 Odyssey. Cheapo filters I run 1 OCI, and the high end filters 2 OCI's. Don't think it matters all that much. I cut them open most of the time to inspect. I have run them all and the only 1 that was a problem was a Bosch filter made by Purolator that had a tear at the pleat base.

My engine beats up oil with VCM so I run about 5000 mile OCI interval with synthetics I got on clearance over the years. Not sure if your `07 Pilot has VCM?

Last edited:
My 07 is not a VCM, but I also have an 18 CRV with the 1.5 Earth Dreams disaster motor, which takes the same oil filter. I have experienced fuel dilution in the CRV.

So far, boats.net says they have the 15400-PLM-A01 by filtech, but sells them in lots of 30, for about 8.50 each.

There is nothing wrong with the A02 (PH7317)

Save some money and get a Fram PH7317. It is very similar to an A02 for a lot less money.
There is also the TG7317 for about the same price as an A02 but a much better filter.
And of course, the Ultra XG7317 is an awesome filter at a good everyday price.

Wix makes quality filters, but their 57356 uses a very small media cartridge due to the bypass design, so it's not my first choice even though I generally like Wix. The Napa Platinum (Wix XP) often goes on sale for a very good price, so it is worth considering. The XP/Platinum has wire-backed synthetic media like a Fram Ultra, and also has more media than their standard Wix/Gold, so when it's on sale, it's like getting an Ultra for the price of a TG.
Wix 57356XP or Napa Platinum 47356

In WIX I use the 51334 sized filters (3593A in Fram Speak). Mainly because at the time I bought a pile of them they also worked well on my wifes 2000 Accord. Now that we're without that car I might go back to the 3950 sized filters. There's plenty of room on the J-Series motors. But if you want to keep a single filter in stock there's nothing wrong with the smaller ones.

A01's are Roki (AKA Filtech, AKA Toko Roki)
A02's are Fram (AKA Honeywell)

PE is Power Equipment, they have different instructions and may lack the tightening marks.

HAMP are A01s with different paint.

I've posted extensively about each of these, so just sort post started by me and that should keep you busy for a while.

Cliff notes version is that it is hard to go wrong as long as you don't go vendor P.

Hard to go wrong with a master pack of NAPA 7356s when they're half price...

Off-topic, I actually learned something from this thread. I was under the impression all 2006+ Pilots had VCM. I was double checking my thoughts before I posted, and sure enough, the 06-08 4WD models do not. Interesting. Thanks for the education!

I also chatted with Boats.net. The 30 pack of A01s are not. They will ship A02s.

Off-topic, I actually learned something from this thread. I was under the impression all 2006+ Pilots had VCM. I was double checking my thoughts before I posted, and sure enough, the 06-08 4WD models do not. Interesting. Thanks for the education!

No one was happier to hear that than I was.

I have used fram, supertech, and others to good results. However, my current stash is Bosch 3323, which is about the same size as any fram 7317. Synthetic blend media, silicone anti drain back valve, and 99% trapping efficiency at 20 microns. Rockauto is currently selling at $3.46 per, plus shipping. It is normally packaged in a case of 12. Buy in that quantity, comes out to $4.40 shipped w/taxes at 7.75%

I have used fram, supertech, and others to good results. However, my current stash is Bosch 3323, which is about the same size as any fram 7317. Synthetic blend media, silicone anti drain back valve, and 99% trapping efficiency at 20 microns. Rockauto is currently selling at $3.46 per, plus shipping. It is normally packaged in a case of 12. Buy in that quantity, comes out to $4.40 shipped w/taxes at 7.75%

I spent more time than I care to admit looking at the Bosch 3323. I read lots of reviews and it looks to be made by Filtech in either PA or WV. So, I ordered 12 from RA. Thanks for the lead.

I spent more time than I care to admit looking at the Bosch 3323. I read lots of reviews and it looks to be made by Filtech in either PA or WV.

Bosch is under Mann+Hummel, which Purolator also is ... and the Bosch are basically the same as the Purolators. "Filtech" is just the name that Bosch gives their media.

Bosch is under Mann+Hummel, which Purolator also is ... and the Bosch are basically the same as the Purolators. "Filtech" is just the name that Bosch gives their media.

Yup, not at all a good choice IMO (unless they are D+, then only passable.) You can lead a horse to water, but....

I spent more time than I care to admit looking at the Bosch 3323. I read lots of reviews and it looks to be made by Filtech in either PA or WV. So, I ordered 12 from RA. Thanks for the lead.
The Bosch 3323 will work just fine, as will STP 7317 or the little 6607 in regular or XL form, the ACDelco PF2057, Puro One, Mobil 1, the aforementioned Wix and Fram offerings, etc. I have run all of these on my Odyssey and they all performed pretty much the same, although I had difficulty getting the P1 to seal with hand tightening. Stop and go traffic most times so 5k OCI and I change the filter every OC unless I am using a Fram Ultra or Wix Platinum. In other words, the Honda J series is not picky...use whatever is on sale or comes with an oil special at the parts store.

I also deactivated VCM so no issues with fuel dilution or oil consumption, so VCM issues may be worth considering if yours is still active.

I run Bosch 3323 on a friend's 2017 Honda CR-V and have had no issues. I have cut open the two used n removed so far with nothing out of the ordinary to report...solid filter.

Was lucky enough to find a sale for $3.25 a piece so bought enough for 6 oil changes. Next OC is due soon and will cut n post filter pics.

Link to one Bosch 3323 cut n post I did months ago

Last edited:
FPS3593A (Fram Ultra) still available for cheap on rockauto. $2.42USD ($3.15CDN) for a Fram Ultra? Not sure how you could go wrong.

Back