HONDA 0W-20 syn / Honda CRV / 1.5L DI turbo / 5k miles

That’s a very good UOA and I wouldn’t change a thing! Given the “slow warm ups” and fuel dilution, 5k with this Honda oil works very well. Don’t mess with the recommended viscosity. If I had to change something, I wouldn’t do slow warm ups. I’d get in the car, start it , put my seatbelt on and drive gently for 5-10 min. You might see less fuel dilution.
There would not be any issue running a thicker oil, especially in Georgia.

The vehicle is under warranty. Also, we did have the software upgrade done in 2019. Not sure whether it did anything or not.
I recall other CRV owners, on other forums, saying that it *felt* that the maintenance minder numbers shrunk faster post-upgrade.

Per the US manual, the "official" service interval is the earlier of 1 year or when the maintenance minder hits 15% - 0%

But if you look at the global manual (not Europe), if i recall correctly, the recommmended OCI is 6k miles (normal) or 3k miles (severe)

I am in the same boat, same engine/car.

after reading a lot of 1.5L posts thinking of switching to 5w30 for the non-winter months and 0w30 or 0w20 during winter. after the powertrain warranty expires. and doing the oil change at 30% - 40% while under warranty.

Prior CRV with the 2.4 K24 engine hit 290,000 miles before being sold to my mechanic.

I'm happy to give up some MPG to have a shot in getting 300,000 miles from the 1.5L EarthDream engine.

and for anyone curious, the 2020 CRV has the same annonyingly long warm-up as the 2017.

But given a choice, I'd rather be freezing at 5f with a "auto startstop" disable button. Than possibly lose the disable button but have the hardware needed for a fast warmup.

Hooray for progress!

First UOA on my 2017 CR-V as I was a little concerned about the reported fuel dilution problems with the 1.5 turbo DI engine.
The UOA showed 3% fuel. I have not noticed a rise in the oil level and none of the previous oil changes smelled like there was a lot of fuel in the oil.
I am sticking to 5,000 mile OCIs which is about 30% on the OLM.View attachment 61851
Does anyone know? I have read some place that the oil Honda uses and calls Honda Synthetic is a blend and not a full synth?

Does anyone know? I have read some place that the oil Honda uses and calls Honda Synthetic is a blend and not a full synth?
Depends on which oil:

OilContainerSynthetic BlendUltimate Synthetic
0w-16Quart08798-9062
0w-20Quart08798-906308798-9037
5w-20Quart08798-903208798-9038
5w-30Quart08798-903408798-9039
10w-30Quart08798-903508798-9040

Someone needs to tell my Honda dealer (regional mega-franchisee).

They use/used Valvoline in everything, 0w20 syn, 5w20 conventional...for years. Dunno about the dealer's 0W16.

I have an 18 CRV with the same concern about OD. We live in the frozen north. My OCIs are about 4K max.

Interestingly, over at the CRV owner's forum, any post regarding OD will be deleted by the Mods. It is forbidden to even bring it up, despite the reality of the situation, the class action lawsuit, etc. There is one large, and now locked, thread about OD, which is mostly Honda fan boys arguing with people who want to talk about the issue. It's pretty crazy.

Just put any 0 or 5w30. It'll become 0w20 in a couple of hundred miles. My civic has be ran an various 5w30s for over 50k now

I have an 18 CRV with the same concern about OD. We live in the frozen north. My OCIs are about 4K max.

Interestingly, over at the CRV owner's forum, any post regarding OD will be deleted by the Mods. It is forbidden to even bring it up, despite the reality of the situation, the class action lawsuit, etc. There is one large, and now locked, thread about OD, which is mostly Honda fan boys arguing with people who want to talk about the issue. It's pretty crazy.
williamsj or whatever his name is an absolute Nazi on that forum where Honda can do no wrong "oh they made it too efficient", blah blah. I was banned because he and I went at it multiple times.

Sounds like an awesome forum. Makes me want to never buy a Honda. 😒

Even Hyundai has implemented an MPI/GDI fuel injection system in most of their redesigned engines, so fuel dilution is minimal now. These days, Hondas are junk in my book, so I feel the same way about them. Never mind that they're overpriced.

williamsj or whatever his name is an absolute Nazi on that forum where Honda can do no wrong "oh they made it too efficient", blah blah. I was banned because he and I went at it multiple times.
I’ve been on that forum for 8 years and that dude is power hungry. I actually called him a Nazi in a PM. We got into a huge argument and him and the DarkKnight run that place like Nazi Germany.

I’ve been on that forum for 8 years and that dude is power hungry. I actually called him a Nazi in a PM. We got into a huge argument and him and the DarkKnight run that place like Nazi Germany.
Lol yup. I really think he works for Honda due to how much he hypes them up and they can do no wrong.

Lol yup. I really think he works for Honda due to how much he hypes them up and they can do no wrong.
And don't ever dare call them out on their BS...there is actually a forum rule about it and I was quickly reprimanded for it. There is also a rule about sarcasm, but they don't follow that either. It's a joke honestly but oh well.

The forum with the exception of him is good. But yeah. Literally, Honda can do no wrong in his eyes.
It's a decent forum overall, just strange that a forum for discussion of different areas of concern doesn't allow discussion of one of the hottest topics pertaining to the CRV. I solve the issue by not contributing too much there. Interestingly, I've had similar UOA's to the ones here with both Mobil1 0W-20 AFE and EP. After several discussions with my Honda dealership and my Honda Master Certified Technician, they're having no issues, warranty or operational with my changing to Mobil1 0W-30 AFE, so that's what I've done. Observed no difference in operation or fuel economy. Planning on a UOA at 3k to see how it's doing, my hope is for 4-5k OCI's. My Technician indicates that a LOT of Hondas with the 1.5t come in with oil high on the dipstick, so a forum that puts it's head in the sand and pretends or insists the problem doesn't exist, isn't providing a true forum, obviously an agenda there for what reason, I don't know.

Back