Homemade Chicken broth/soup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody here care to share their recipe? I usually buy a package of whole cut up chicken and simmer it on low for twelve hours with celery, thyme, garlic, bay leaves, onions and carrots. If I'm lucky, the grocery by me will sell a pack of chicken necks for $2.50 a pop. I like broiling the necks first and then throwing everything into a pot.

We usually bought 3-4 whole chickens, my wife separate the white meat and legs for grilling and the rest of the chickens first boiled at high heat until water at boiling temp for 1-2 minutes. Turn the heat off, dumped the boiled water and cleaned the chicken with cold water several times.

We then dump Potato, carrot, celery, onion and some herbs into big pot with chicken. Set the heat high until it almost boil then we simmer at below boiling temp for 48-72 hours, then we add little salt at the end. The broth is so sweet, better than any chicken broth we can find at stores, and no chemical such as MSG is used.

My Wife's Chicken Rice soup is amazing & full of flavor.

1) Boil the whole Chicken

2) Add Chicken Broth

3) Add cooked Jasmine rice

4) Add little Chicken Boulion, little Salt & little Sugar to taste

5) Fry & add smashed Garlic

6) Add Cilantro & chopped thin Green Onion then turn the heat off and let it sit.

Hope this helps & hope you like it.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: yonyon
tpitcher, why would you want to contaminate perfectly good food with cilantro?

HA! It tastes sooo good.

Un-possible!

Cilantro tasting good is a lie the Mexicans are promoting to try and trick the other people of the world into putting cilantro in the food supply so that everybody else will starve to death and they can take over the world!

Are you a Mexican spy?

My recipe is involved....but simple to get fat free chicken stock for soup.

I take a large package of Chicken Thighs, clean and rinse well. Soak the chicken thighs in a brine solution of Kosher salt and water in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours.

Rinse chicken thighs well after the brine soak and place into a large Pressure cooker with water covering the thighs by 3 inches. I add a couple of stalks of celery, couple of carrots some garlic powder, a few pepper corns and a few bay leaves to the mix. No salt is needed since the chicken has soaked in the brine and has been rinsed of salt.

Once the pressure cooker gets up to pressure, starts rock in and roll-in, I lower the gas and let it jiggle, at medium, for 4 minutes. Turn off the gas and let the pressure cooker sit under pressure. I usually leave the thighs in the covered pot for a couple of hours....sealed....and still covered.

After 2 hours of sitting, I remove the lid of the pressure cooker, remove the chicken thigh into a large glass Pyrex bowl for cooling. I then strain the broth, through a fine wire strainer, and let the broth cool separately without the bay leaves, carrots, celery....just broth. When the broth has cooled down, to a cool manageable level, I pour the broth into a tall, narrow, Tupperware container and refrigerate for 1 day or so.

I place the meat....de-skinned into a separate sealed container into the fridge also.

When the stock is ready for making soup, just take off the thick layer of chicken fat that has congealed on the gelatinous stock and discard.

When you make your chicken soup you have removed the fat and all you need to do is heat it up and add your vegetables, cooked rice, noodles, and the already cooked chicken with no skin or bones.

There you have it....Mongo's secret recipe.

I buy chicken frames for stuff like that, and roast them until quite dark, boil in water with not quite 1/4 cup of vinegar to mobilise the minerals, and boil, adding water if necessary through the process...than use how you like it.

Christmas day, I cooked a duck and prok, then roasted the duck and pork bones for an hour, then made bone broth as per above.

Boiled down to three mugs of bone broth, which I drank neat and hot for Christmas evening dinner...it was soooo nice.

Asian marts all sell spent hens for way cheap, about 1.50 for a whole chicken. They're old, tough birds not suitable for roasting. However, they're loaded with connective tissue and mature enough to give you some of the best chicken stock possible. Also, the tougher meat can withstand the longer cooking time and is actually usable after preparing the stock.

from Cook's Illustrated:

Makes about 8 cups broth with 2 cups shredded meat

Choose this broth when you want to have some breast meat in your soup.
Ingredients

1(3 1/2-to 4-pound) whole chicken
1tablespoon vegetable oil
1medium onion , chopped medium
8cups water
2teaspoons Salt
2 bay leaves

Instructions

1. Cut the chicken into 7 pieces (2 split breasts, 2 legs, 2 wings, and a backbone). Set the split breasts aside, then hack the remaining chicken into 2-inch pieces with a meat cleaver.

2. Heat the oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat until just smoking. Add the chicken breasts and brown lightly, about 5 minutes, then transfer to a plate and set aside.

3. Add half of the chicken pieces and brown lightly, about 5 minutes; transfer the chicken pieces to a large bowl. Repeat with the remaining chicken pieces; transfer to the bowl.

4.Add the onion to the fat left in the pot and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Return the chicken pieces (not the breasts) to the pot, along with any accumulated juice, cover, and reduce the heat to low. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken has released its juice, about 20 minutes.

5.Add the reserved chicken breasts, water, salt, and bay leaves and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce to a gentle simmer, and cook, skimming as needed, until the chicken breasts register 160 to 165 degrees on an instant-read thermometer, about 20 minutes.

6. Remove the chicken breasts from the pot, let cool slightly, then remove and discard the skin and bones and shred the meat into bite-size pieces. Strain the broth through a fine mesh strainer, then defat the broth. (The broth and the chicken can be refrigerated separately in airtight containers; the broth can be refrigerated for up to 4 days or frozen for up to 1 month and the chicken can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.)

Originally Posted By: BrownBox88
All these recipes sound so good.

Well, there you go.

Report back which ones you tried!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back