Vegetable barley soup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barley, carrots, parsley root, celery root, leek - most of this stuff I wouldn't touch as a kid, LOL!

I make a big pot of it once very other month or so, based on mom's recipe. Technically it's not just vegetable because I do cook it with some pork ribs thrown in for added flavor. I actually like eating these ribs with the soup - boiled meat is probably healthier anyway. The wife won't touch boiled ribs, so I throw in some cut up chicken breast, just for her. I also typically throw in a healthy dose of red pepper flakes to give it a bit of a kick.

DSC_1678.jpg

I love hot soup in winter.

I dump all kind of bones, mostly chicken and pork, into a large pot to make broth. Using that broth, after simmering it for few days, to make all kind of soups.

Hmmm...boiled ribs....may I make a suggestion? Brown the ribs first to develop a bit of fond in the pot, then remove & saute the veg. to deglaze. You'll get more pork flavor that way, a bit darker soup and your wife might find them more appealing.

Looks delicious. I always love that as well as some ham and bean soup with some ham bones from the butcher that's on the end of my road

Yup, it's soup season for sure. I think cubed smoked bacon or salt pork would also work well in this soup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back