Homelite generator

After sitting up for around 25 years and given to me recently, I was able to get my Homelite 4kw 8 hp Briggs generator running. I bought a rebuild kit for the Flo Jet carb from a local shop, it didnt work,(I gave them the proper model type and code numbers off th engine) the threads on the new emulsion tube compared to the old one arent the same, it wouldnt thread into the carb. I took the carb apart, cleaned it real good along with the emulsion tube and put it back together. I set the idle screw 1 turn out, and the main jet 1-1/2 turns out. I cranked it up and it was running excellent until my dad and I tried to figure out a way to shut it off (I was shutting it off with the choke). My dad pushed the throttle and the rpms jumped, it came back down and started surging for a bit before finally running normal. It was running great and then all of a sudden killed. I can crank it back up and itll run great for 2-3 minutes then kill again. Does this sound carb related? I'd really like to get it running nice as the generator still works and its doesnt have many hours on it as far as I can tell.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a rebuild kit for it? I can get a new carb on Ebay for cheap but I like tinkering.
My plans for it are as follows:
rebuild kit (or new carb if absolutely necessary)
O-ring where intake meets carb (missing so I used grease for now)
new fuel petcock(leaks whether open or closed currently)
Plumb new fuel line with an inline filter
New starter clutch (after cleaning and lubing the old one it still fails to catch sometimes)
Quieter muffler (really loud)
Do these engines use pipe thread for the exhaust? Its an open frame design, I was considering piping the exhaust to the back, and connection a flowmaster or similar automotive muffler and bolting it to the frame.

Sounds like a fuel problem but check for spark next time it quits. Bad coils happen and usually happen when hot.

I have a similar generator. The exhaust is threaded.

I converted over to propane to get around the carb problems. Common trouble spots are where the two halves seal. Ebay should have all the parts. Download a parts manual from the web.

It could be a spark problem. Does yours still have points? B&S stopped using those in the late 70s IIRC. How is it under load? You shouldn't need to mess with the idle screw much, as these things don't idle.

I had an old "Mite-E-Lite" with a spring metal tab one would ground the spark plug out with, to stop. It would take forever to wind down due to the inertia within the generator head, sucking unburned fuel through the carb and into the oil all the while. :cautious:

I was thinking spark also. It has a tab on it to ground out the spark plug, it didnt shut it off when using it, but like you said it may take a while. Also how do you properly shut it off with the tab without getting shocked? I ordered a new coil on Ebay tonight, 12 bucks.

I was thinking spark also. It has a tab on it to ground out the spark plug, it didnt shut it off when using it, but like you said it may take a while. Also how do you properly shut it off with the tab without getting shocked? I ordered a new coil on Ebay tonight, 12 bucks.
There should be a small sharp triangle under that tab that goes through the spark plug boot and grounds it , shutting down the engine. You have to hold the tab down until the engine completely stops.

Its possible the spark plug boot is hardened with age and the tab is no longer penetrating the spark plug boot. We just used our foot hold down the tab, never got shocked, but never tried it bare foot either!!!

There shouldn't be a boot on the sparkplug. You just press the tab to the plug. You won't get shocked.

Those of you with experience with these generators, how long do they run on a tank? It has a 1 gallon tank. Im considering getting my friend whos a welder to fab me a larger aluminum tank. Something has to be done about the muffler. The 18 year old me would have welcomed the noise, the 29 year old me, not so much.

Those of you with experience with these generators, how long do they run on a tank? It has a 1 gallon tank. Im considering getting my friend whos a welder to fab me a larger aluminum tank. Something has to be done about the muffler. The 18 year old me would have welcomed the noise, the 29 year old me, not so much.
Youtube is your friend ;)

Generator + muffler + silencer...

Generator auxiliary fuel tank....

Etc

There isn't much you can do for noise on an older generator like that, or really any small engine. Most of the noise is from the bottom end of the engine itself running at wide open throttle, not the exhaust. There are lots of videos on youtube of people putting giant mufflers on generators and it only quieting them down 1 or 2 decibels because of this.

Correct me if I’m wrong but dont these old Flathead Briggs engines like I have on my generator call for 25 hour oil changes? I was going to do 50 hour oci but if it calls for 25 Ill stick to that.

"these old flathead Briggs engines".....so this recomendation is 2 decades old....you can stay with 50hrs OCI with today oils...

A one gallon tank might run it 3 hours at light load. If it’s a flathead it won’t be very efficient, which creates a problem if it’s for standby use. I’d consider trying to find a newer engine, such as a predator from harbor freight, if the crankshaft matches up. Some of the newer gensets expect a certain crankshaft.

as for noise, the intake makes noise and the valves make noise. The exhaust only becomes prominent when these they are really seeing a load. All of the quiet gensets I know have a heavy plastic or insulated metal panel on all 6 sides. Water cooled engines are much quieter.

Took some paint thinner and removed all the paint off the decals. Cast iron sleeve, hopefully it lasts for a long time.

Attachments

• E19C8DAF-B80A-4968-9752-18608C943A67.jpeg
    E19C8DAF-B80A-4968-9752-18608C943A67.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 24
My old Montomery Ward generator from the 60's did that same thing as yours. It ended up being too little clearance on the exhaust valve. As soon as the valve started getting hot it would not seat and the engine would quit. I ground down the tip of the valve enough for clearance like 16 thou and runs great again.

The problem with mine was the gas cap vent was plugged. New gas cap, fuel flowing to the carb like normal and it purrs. But its insanely loud. From 200 feet away its still annoying. Annoying but reliable.

Bought this 4kw Coleman today for $100. It’s pretty much identical to the Homelite. It needs some TLC, its been run twice since 1991.

Attachments

• 498C15C8-844B-4383-92B8-2FA9E1C0CDA8.jpeg
    498C15C8-844B-4383-92B8-2FA9E1C0CDA8.jpeg
    209.8 KB · Views: 25
Back