home security camera question

I personally use and like Wyze Cameras, the V3 is awesome, the V3 Pro might suite you a little better in some areas.

They do have the OG and OG Telephoto but those are mostly designed to be paired together. Wyze Cams have MicroSD card slots I have run 128GB no proble,, it is $2.99/month per Camera for Wyze Cam Plus or $8.99/month for Wyze Cam Plus Unlimited which includes cloud storage among many other features.

They are indoor/outdoor cameras as well and run on wifi, they also have a lamp socket available so if you don't have an outdoor outlet but instead have a light in the area you could run the socket to get power.

You can also get notifications/view the cameras anywhere you go through the app.

I personally use and like Wyze Cameras, the V3 is awesome, the V3 Pro might suite you a little better in some areas.

They do have the OG and OG Telephoto but those are mostly designed to be paired together. Wyze Cams have MicroSD card slots I have run 128GB no proble,, it is $2.99/month per Camera for Wyze Cam Plus or $8.99/month for Wyze Cam Plus Unlimited which includes cloud storage among many other features.

They are indoor/outdoor cameras as well and run on wifi, they also have a lamp socket available so if you don't have an outdoor outlet but instead have a light in the area you could run the socket to get power.

You can also get notifications/view the cameras anywhere you go through the app.
thank you for your input. i would like to go PoE due to the old camera system that is still there. i can run the wires along the old route. i also want to avoid a monthly fee.

Many of the Chinese made cameras sold on Amazon, eBay, Wish, etc are ALL the exact same cameras but slightly changed in appearance. And there are 5000 different apps that run them. Hell, many of them will run on several different apps. The key is, if you buy these, buy ones that will work on just one app.

I find that many decent Chinese cameras use the MIPC app. That's what I have at home, I got all matching cameras - app wise, because two of the ones I had for quite a while ran on an old app that is obsolete now. I will say that I used to have Arlo cameras and the direct knock offs from China were BETTER performing than the Arlo! I had nothing but problems with Arlo cameras.

I bought Chinese wireless cameras a few years back and they work fine. There is an app for live bi-directional activity, alerts and for reviewing recorded activity. So far so good.

The only caveat is that they work on 2.4 gHz network.

Seems similar to my Lorex system, judging by the picture reviews they kind of have a narrow field of view though, which may or may not be what you’re looking for.

I will say the Lorex app is fantastic.

I've got 5 reolink cams right now.

I *had* the server. Its' fan was way too loud. I just use in-camera sd card units. Four of the five are wireless, and my back yard is watched by a cam with a solar panel to keep the battery charged thru long winter nights.

I'm watching for the amazon delivery as I type this.

I think that's very expensive for 4 cameras. I recommend going to Costco, they have systems with the same specs for less than half the price. Costco doesn't sell brands they don't stand behind. If you are not a member it's worth signing up to save the money, plus you'll get access to cheap pizza and hotdogs!

Costco Surveillance Cameras.JPG

Costco Surveillance Cameras 1.JPG

A real security camera company, great prices, great phone app, no subscription required

Which is a division of the world’s largest security camera company

Never mind, I just checked out your link, the equipment you are looking at is true POE cameras with a recorder

My mistake I thought you were looking for a simple Wi-Fi camera. In an ideal world, your choice is a FAR, FAR better choice. 12MP cameras on that system is incredible to say the least

Last edited:
I installed dahua PoE cameras and use Blue Iris as my NVR. The dahuas are very good cameras with an extensive product line. They are, like hikvision, subject to security issues and because of that I put them on their own subnet (via a seperate ethernet interface) network.

Good info on ipcamtalk.com forums.

Wyze cameras have their bugs, issues, and are always trying to sell their camera service. But overall they get the job done if you want to be able to see what’s going on in a location with a reasonably good app.

Wyze cameras have their bugs, issues, and are always trying to sell their camera service. But overall they get the job done if you want to be able to see what’s going on in a location with a reasonably good app.
I have not had any issues from Wyze in over 6 months of which then the motion events stopped sending although the camera still recorded everything which that is long been fixed. And in it's class of cameras from all that I have seen it has the best picture quality and best night mode even without infrared turned on the starlight sensor is very good.

And it is really no different from Google or Amazon trying to sell their service, Google seems like a very good option although their cameras a very pricey.

Anyways my Wyze cams did their job even on the V2 models and caught multiple vandalisms and thefts, at the current time I have zero reason to switch or not recommend Wyze especially for people who rent.

I just got a Wyze in the mail today. For the price, the thing is outstanding. I just got the cheap one to put in the window by the front door but still. Great deal!

I just got a Wyze in the mail today. For the price, the thing is outstanding. I just got the cheap one to put in the window by the front door but still. Great deal!
The Wyze Cam OG which is going for around $17 now I believe is more than sufficient for most needs and still outperforms the majority of the big name options out there.

Just be sure you turn off infrared if you are putting it through a window otherwise it will drown it out at night, you can still use night vision mode if you prefer but the color night vision works great.

The Wyze Cam OG which is going for around $17 now I believe is more than sufficient for most needs and still outperforms the majority of the big name options out there.

Just be sure you turn off infrared if you are putting it through a window otherwise it will drown it out at night, you can still use night vision mode if you prefer but the color night vision works great.
Yeah, the app mentioned something about that with the IR so I flipped it off. I've been messing with it all day and I don't know what more you need. 128gb micro SD card for $8 and the cam for $18. My brother bought a Ring and when I texted him today he was going to look into Wyze. Seems like a ton of value in them.

Yeah, the app mentioned something about that with the IR so I flipped it off. I've been messing with it all day and I don't know what more you need. 128gb micro SD card for $8 and the cam for $18. My brother bought a Ring and when I texted him today he was going to look into Wyze. Seems like a ton of value in them.
I recommend a quality SD card, those cheap ones are not considered "high endurance" and may not last long.

Wyze sells SD cards but me personally I use SanDisk ImageMate Pro.

I would not purchase that. I would get PC, put Blue Iris on it and get some Dahua IP Cams

Currently running about 16 Cameras, with 2 Dedicated LPR Cams 150ft from the road. Highest resolution is 4MP, most are 2MP which do best in low light. Higher quality, large sensor and high bitrate trumps resolution any day of the week

1698463180361.png

1698463144147.png

All PoE, UPS backed, etc. Got about 60TB of capacity

I would not purchase that. I would get PC, put Blue Iris on it and get some Dahua IP Cams

Currently running about 16 Cameras, with 2 Dedicated LPR Cams 150ft from the road. Highest resolution is 4MP, most are 2MP which do best in low light. Higher quality, large sensor and high bitrate trumps resolution any day of the week

View attachment 185559

View attachment 185558

All PoE, UPS backed, etc. Got about 60TB of capacity
I have the same setup, albeit with fewer cameras and no LPR or PTZ cams.

Have you used one of the newish Dahua 4K cams? I put one of the 180 degree ones in the backyard and the night vision (with no illuminator) is unbelievable. Night images almost look like daytime.

Back