Home file server

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJC

I'm trying to connect 2 Ubuntu PC's via wired router - the server will be for file backup only. I've given up on Samba after being unable to mount the /windows server share. I can mount it on server side (after chmod 777) but not on client side.

So I've installed SSH, and am now knee deep in alligator invested network waters. I created a public key on client, and copied it to server but now getting access denied (I didn't specify password when making key).

All I'm trying to do is create a separate PC for backup , and learn some networking. But this has become a big pain in the [censored]. Should I plow away at Samba or SSH?

Why give up on Samba? Did you create the accounts for the machine itself?

It's been a while since I configured it, but you have to have accounts for the users as well as accounts for each client machine.

If it's still done the same way, smbpasswd is what you use, IIRC.

Seriously, it's been over 5 years since I've set up a Samba server, so everything could be completely different by now.

But somewhere out there, there has to be a samba cookbook.

Of course, if everything is Ubuntu linux, why not set up NFS?

If everything is *NIX, use NFS, if you have Windows clients, find a Samba cookbook and get started that way.

NJC,

You'll see something like this in the /etc/samba/smb.conf file:

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
browseable = no

# By default, the home directories are exported read-only. Change next
# parameter to 'yes' if you want to be able to write to them.
writable = no

If you want to write a file from the network you'll have to change writable to 'yes'.

For the ssh problem, in the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file just change: PasswordAuthentication to "yes" and you be able to log in remotely with a username/passwd

Wayne

I wouldn't worry with SAMBA, there are easier alternatives, especially if just using Linux. Although I really love 'buntu, for what your trying to accomplish, I think the best solution for the server is FreeNAS. It is a streamlined BSD implementation that is super easy to setup, and offers MANY NAS connection options, including SAMBA.

No matter what OS you choose for the server side, probably the easiest and fastest method will be iSCSI. Your basically simulating a SCSI connection over an IP network. It also supports windoze clients.

I do the same thing in my home, and have never used Samba, which is kinda pointless is you're not having to interface with a Windows network.

I've always used SSH or SCP and have never worried about creating any keys. Setting up rsync or its GUI grsync for use over a network using SSH is fairly simple. It is rsync that you're using?

The client PC is a dual boot Ubuntu/XP box, so it's possible I could access the server via XP. But I'm mostly interested in maintaining a fat32 backup partition on Ubuntu.

But Samba is supposed to be easy to setup. Right click on folder, select Share and done.
smirk2.gif
It will install the necessary packages as needed. Except I don't have folder permissions to /windows partition on server PC.
mad.gif
(now fixed).

I'll need to check to see if client has smbfs installed. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Quote:

FreeNAS

+1

15 minutes to download install, implement; Web interface; will software mirror drives if you want. Will work on a 266Mh P2

Last edited:
I'll keep FreeNAS in mind for future builds. I was able to access /home folder on Server machine via client, so I wiped out /windows partition and extended the ext3 to end of drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back