Hobbies that are indoors and don't involve TV screens or computers?

Bread making, cheese making, beer brewing

Did beer in the past
Have baked bread for many years

Now cheese making. Amazing............parma, blue, cheddar, swiss, you name it.................like the above, so much better when made at home, taste and health. Plus suddenly you have all these new friends.

Last edited:
It kind of violates the whole “no screens or computers” rule but I’d LOVE to get into VR. Beat Saber looks super fun, and from what people say it can be quite the workout.

OK What do I need to buy to do this? I do aerobics and light weight training videos with my wife, some are decently vigorous but man, they are boring. THAT is both challenging and musically addicting. Which VR googles and such??? TIA

Becoming more efficient with my Morse Code. Learned it in the Navy. Never forgot it, just got slower. Trying to get my speed up to where it was.

Since I've retired I'm trying to perfect cooking all those things I tried to do once and they turned out inedible. I've gotten pretty good with ribs, ok with biscuits, but trying to copy my favorite dishes from the chinese restaurant has been a steep hill to climb.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned performing oil filter autopsies.

Reactions: JC1
Reddy45, what are YOU interested in?? How much time are you looking to use daily/weekly?

Volunteering is rewarding, takes up some time and usually doesn't have a cost but not so much during the current situation.
I'm just tired of spending my evenings on the computer. Feels like I'm ruining my eyesight, not producing anything of value, and jacking up my brain.

I may try some handwriting improvement books or puzzles. Scale model building is tempting but that's considerably more cost to get started and it may not stick long term.

woodworking / building speakers

The math behind building speakers is a ton of fun, and the options are endless...the woodworking is where you put your heart into your design.
Got any suggestions?

Some guidelines:
  • Mostly done indoors, so that it can be done during any time of day
  • No looking at screens or TVs, unless if needed for supplemental info or tips
  • Relatively affordable
  • Reading books or magazines does not count. (and therefore listening to audio books and podcasts is also not going to count)

The only ones I can think of are:
  • Calligraphy/handwriting practice
  • Building scale models (planes, cars, trains, etc..)
  • Listening to music.. as much as this could become a hobby in itself
  • Yo-Yo or other skill based toy?
  • Cleaning guns.. which really can only be re-done after you go shooting
  • Yoga/etc.. limited range movement type activities
I agree!! I used to love designing and building speakers.

This looks amazing. I am jealous! I have never had a slot raceway close enough to me, the nearest one now is 1.5 hours away.
A family friend had a track as well. My brother and I had been meaning to try it out, but he got rid of it before we had the chance. No money in it apparently.

Cooking ... I'm an avid home cook, enjoy making dinner for friends, have developed my own recipes, etc. Love to explore new ingredients.

OK What do I need to buy to do this? I do aerobics and light weight training videos with my wife, some are decently vigorous but man, they are boring. THAT is both challenging and musically addicting. Which VR googles and such??? TIA
You’d need a computer with a decent graphics card or a PS4 with the PlayStation VR kit. If you don’t already have a decent gaming PC, I’d go the PS4/PS4 Pro route as you have a better chance of winning the lottery right now than picking up a graphics card. The PS VR kit is running about $500 on Amazon. Otherwise HTC, Oculus, and Valve make amazing VR headsets.

Right now it is a pile of nicely sanded wood frames, bulkheads and stringers. Final cutting and prep of the partially die cut parts is extremely time consuming, but key to the finished boat.

I sort of think of it as a real boat; it will be R/C when complete. (y)
Great avatar!

Back