Historical Gasoline Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
... According to this, It was actually 2002 when gasoline started ramping. .
Starting more like 1975, or 1980. Up until about '73, it had barely increased since the 1950s.

1973 was probably the cheapest in real $ ever, prices today are roughly 5.8 times higher, so an average of 35 cents/gallon in '73 would be roughly $2/gallon today. I would say we're getting close to cheapest ever territory. Wish the circumstances were better, though, really can't enjoy it.

ohio was 28.5 it raised to 38.5 in july 2019 (state tax)

Its commonly still over 1.50 here. pockets of 1.39 or so.

I'm about 35-40miles south of cleveland.

Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
... According to this, It was actually 2002 when gasoline started ramping. .
Starting more like 1975, or 1980. Up until about '73, it had barely increased since the 1950s.

I should say, it started ramping above $2.00 per gallon in 2002.
smile.gif

I remember as a little kid seeing gas for 18.9 cents per gallon. It was Gulftane. My dad was a Sinclair dealer and pointed it out to me during a gas war. And I am not certain but I think it actually dropped to 14.9 for a day or two.

Originally Posted by walterjay
I remember as a little kid seeing gas for 18.9 cents per gallon. It was Gulftane. My dad was a Sinclair dealer and pointed it out to me during a gas war. And I am not certain but I think it actually dropped to 14.9 for a day or two.

In the early '70's, gas was normally about $.22.9 to $.26.9, but then the local gas stations would get into a price war. Sometimes regular would get as low as $.16.9 or $.17.9. I'd tag along with my dad to fill up the truck. By the time I was driving, gas was up to about $.35.9, and in 1975 when I went to college, it was up to $.85.9. Everyone thought that was highway robbery.

Last edited:
In around 94 back in Central Virginia I remember seeing regular being 89c to 99c, and San Francisco was around $1.89 or so in the late 90s.

Then in 2006 or so it was $4.50 or so due to Wall Street and Enron manipulating the market. The fracking and off shore deep sea well dampen it to around $3-$3.50, then the new gas tax mark it up another 50c or so and now we at hovering between $3.05 to $4.10 depends on the market.

The fuel economy of what we drive here went from around 20mpg to around 30mpg to 40mpg on hybrid, so the impact is not as bad as it seems.

^^ You've got that right. I enjoy filling my car up for $18, but I also know it is a bad sign and not a good thing.

Shell gas station right at the exit here on I-75 is $2.49/gallon. Right down the street, barely two blocks away, is $1.74 at the Circle-K, and just about every other station as well. I don't know how this guy stays in business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back