Highest TBN number

Status
Not open for further replies.
10ppm. Lower than us. Must just all be for extereme long drains. Ive noticed on their page Enduron euro 4 has been replaced by Enduron Low-SAPS which has a lower TBN of about 12, which sounds typical for a on-road diesel oil.

Shell Argina T marine oil has a TBN of 30 but I've seen TBNs as high as 70 on marine oils.

Charlie

Shell Argina T marine oil has a TBN of 30 but I've seen TBNs as high as 70 on marine oils.

Charlie

70 TBN oil is for the oil injected directly into the cylinder walls on slow speed crosshead engines burning fuel in the range of 3% to 3.5% sulfur. It is probably SAE 50 or 60. The last one I worked on, 57,500 hp @ 95 rpm straight 12 two-stroke burned about a ton a day of this cylinder oil. The crankcase had low TBN SAE 30 oil that was a lifetime fill and continuously centrifuged.

As has been said many times, it isn't the initial TBN that's important; it's how long the TBN holds up. Better ingredients may result in lower initial TBN and longer lived TBN before it hits an allowable minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back