Highest Noack ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know which Xw30 has the highest Noack?
Or for that matter I might consider an Xw40.
I'm sure that Amsoil, RLI, and Redline will be mentioned and considered.
I'm looking for something that can be had at the typical auto parts store or even WalMart.

I have a gasoline direct injection application and of course the pcv gasses wind up in the intake tract.

I fear that eventually there will be deposits on the backside of the intake valves from any "burned off" oil that arrives there via the pcv.
Of course with DFI there is no fuel to wash off the back of the valves as in a "normal" FI engine.
I would modify the pcv to vent to atmospheric but there are environmental and warranty issues to be considered.

The other concern would be oil seepage past the valve guides that cooks on the valves. So an oil that leaves little residue may be more important than Noack.
Then there are reversion gasses to be considered.

Pontiac requires a 4718M oil for the LNF engine which I believe has a slightly lower than GF4 Noack among other things.
Maybe I should just stick with the spec oil and trust GM on this one.
After all unlike Porsche's and some others DFI there are no reported problems with intake valve deposits with this engine....yet.

2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP 0-60 4.6 / 1/4 13.26 @ 104
happy2.gif

Rickey.

Dang, picking an oil is gettin' complicated
LOL.gif

Amsoil ATM would be my top choice, but if you need to buy it locally, Synpower would be a decent choice.

BTW, you should be looking for an oil with a low noack number, not a high one. Lubricants with low NOACK scores are preferred; the lower the number, the better the resistance to vaporization. Low NOACK scores indicates an oil that will keep their original protective and performance qualities longer.

"BTW, you should be looking for an oil with a low noack number, not a high one."

Doh!.......that's what I was trying to say.
grin2.gif

I guess that my mind was thinking high performing Noack.

Thanks

Rickey.

Hello, yes all were 10-30 take a look at how the noack jumps from grade to grade. The gtx 10-30 has a better NOACK than some of the other wts on the amsoil website.So the wt. you are going to use should be the issue.

Ok, thanks folks.

10w30 PP or Synpower it will be.
Both are 4718M.
The owners manual calls for 5W30 4718M.
I suspect that the 5W part only comes in to play in cold climates and has a CAFE bearing as well.

Now slightly off topic:
Guess what a standard size bottle of Techron does when added to the fuel in this vehicle?............
After burning that tank of gas the oil level is raised by an amount approximately equivalent to the amount of Techron added to the fuel.
And the oil is suddenly VERY black!
Interesting no?
Of course I change the oil immediately afterwards.

Rickey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back